Cat Suddenly Pooping/peeing In House

08asmith17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am at my wits end so hopefully someone can help.

My cat, Styx just turned 2 and started going potty on our middle part of the staircase- both pee and poop. I’m taking him to the vet Thursday to rule out any medical issues but in the mean time I have been using carpet powder to help get rid of the odor. I have an enzyme cleaner being shipped to me on Wednesday. My options are limited and I feel like my hands are tied.
In November we got a new puppy and they seem to get along just fine. He was coming and going to the basement as he pleases but we noticed he wasn’t using his litter box but couldn’t find any poop down in the basement. Finally, we stopped access to the basement and moved the litter box to a closet that I took the door off of (which I’ve learned is a no-no) I don’t have any clue where to put this litter box so the dog won’t be into it. Like I said l, I feel like my options are limited. I don’t want to have to get rid of my cat, he was here before either of our dogs. Any help and insight would be helpful.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry Styx is having litterbox avoidance issues. It's good that you're taking him for a vet checkup, to rule out something physical, but it's also possibly due to stress.

Since you're trying to keep the dog out of/away from the litter box, could you put the closet door back on, and put a cat flap door in it. That way Styx would only fit through the flap, and could have peace in his private "bathroom".

Here's a few TCS articles that might be helpful:
Caring For Cats And Dogs
Introducing Cats To Dogs

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory
Combat Cat Urine

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the dog is small enough to fit through the cat flap, there are models that are unlocked by a collar with a radio signal. And if you can find a place for a second litter box, perhaps one up and one down stairs, that might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

08asmith17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Putting the door back on even with a cat door isn’t an option. It would be very dark. There’s a sheer curtain covering it right now and the hallway light is on. We’re getting a new litter box today. Maybe it’ll help! We think he is pooping and peeing on the step in protest of the basement being blocked off.

momtotomandjes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have two dogs along with my cats and I know what a pain it is to keep the dogs out of the litter box while allowing the cat(s) to have their place to "go". I also have our litter boxes in the basement. As I had an area where I could put up a pet gate, I found one that is tension-mounted (no nails). It's white metal bars so the cats can see through it, it's about waist high so my dogs can't jump over it, it has a swing door so I can move back and forth easily and a cat door which allows the cats to come and go. They sell them online at all the major pet chains. The one I got was a Carlson extra-wide expandable gate as the entry space was wide but they have regular door opening sizes as well plus extra tall gates (I have two large dogs -- the lower one works fine). Unless you have a very small dog the kitty door should keep the dog out. If the space is large enough that you can keep their food bowls away from the litter boxes (as you know, cats don't like to eat where they poo!), you can feed them behind the gate also. My dogs LOVE cat food if they can get into it so it really helps. Good Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

08asmith17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Small victory: I moved the litter box to where he was pooping and peeing on the stairs. He is using it. Not my ideal place for the litter box but as long as it’s kept clean I’m cool with that! Dog isn’t bothering it either. Not sure if the other box was too small, he didn’t like the litter or the location of the box. I’m still keeping my eye on him though.
I really appreciate you guys’s suggestions as this situation was starting to turn me into a basket case.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Once you get the enzyme cleaner and can remove all scent of where he went on the stairs, hopefully you can gradually move the litter box a little bit each day until you get it to your preferred location. Good luck.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep. Leave it there for a while, then SLLLLLOOOOOLWWWWWWLLLLLYYYYYY sneak it back to where you want it!