Cat suddenly paranoid?!

uniqms95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! So my cat always runs to the door whenever she hears me opening it and jumps into my arms. However yesterday I was surprised to not find her doing that, instead she was hiding under the bed and refused to come out for a long time. She keeps staring at the window and puffing up her tail and arching her back and seems paranoid about something there! I live in the third floor so it isn't possible that a dog or another cat scared her or something. This behaviour had continued on to today as well. She hides under the bed most of the time, keeps approaching the window slowly with arched back. She can't even eat properly now she's always stopping and looking at the window while eating like something's gonna pop out there and attack her! I even tried closing the curtains completely and she still does the same thing.She literally is spending most of her time looking at the window warily. Any ideas? Advice? She's also acting skittish and jumps at every little noise now /:

PS : I live in a one bedroom apartment I can't keep her from seeing the window

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, how upsetting to you the human too.
I do think *something* spooked her, maybe a bird flying against the window?
And cats can climb trees: is there a tree nearby? (Where I use to live, there was a very tall, narrow tree that abutted against the 2nd story balcony of an apartment building. Several mother cats nested there and delivered their kittens.)
In Germany, can you buy something like Feliway? Or composure treats? Meanwhile I would give her lots of loving and reassurances.
Good luck, and keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

uniqms95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ritz ritz thanks for replying! Nope there aren't any trees that are really close to the building and very very few stray cats here. Thanks for mentioning feliway! I'll see if we have it here and I'll definately try it out :) it's just so weird since this is the first time it happens and she can see that whatever spooked her isn't there anymore :/

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can have long memories.
Ritz got her paw caught in the handles of a plastic bag that contained a carton (18) of raw eggst. In an effort to free herself from the bag, she literally ran around the apartment with the bag caught on her ankle. She lost a claw in the process. And for six months afterwards was afraid, cowered, of any type of plastic bag; four years later and she still has a healthy respect for plastic bags.