cat suddenly meowing at the window

nako

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has decided recently (as in, within the last couple of days) that something in the vicinity of my front door/front window is extremely upsetting to him and I need to know about it. He'll sit by the front door or in the window next to it and meow insistently at me for twenty or thirty minutes at a time. The noise he's making is his "mom come look at this! You need to fix this!" meow, so whatever it is, he feels like it's something I need to know about. He also will occasionally stand on his back feet on the windowsill and paw at the window, always in the same spot - but there's nothing there, it's just a corner.

I live in a third-floor apartment and he does get to go out on the balcony; he also seems to be moderately scared of being outside in front of my apartment, so I don't think he's begging to go out.

I did put a little plant stand and a chair outside my window a couple of days ago, so part of me wonders if he's just trying to tell me that things are different outside - but why would that worry him so much? Nothing has changed in a way that's threatening.

Anyway, it's gotten to the point now where it's beginning to get annoying. I can't get him to stop by shushing him (which does actually sometimes work!), and I don't want to start punishing him for talking to me, but I'm starting to kind of want to shoot him. Is there anything else I can do to figure out what's bothering him so much?

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe he wants a taste of that plant

you could make the balcony the same as it was before???? and see if the changes are the issue

he sounds so precious - give him a hug for me

It's a shame we humans aren't more intelligent, I'm sure our furbabies get frustrated trying to communicate with us

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this window right next to the front door of your apartment leading out to the hallway? If so, maybe a neighbor's cat or dog has been loose in the hallway
and is coming to the plant and chair to investigate and your cat saw this and is now upset... I am just guessing here, but it's possible. When he does this, I would definitely pull out some interactive toys and distract his attention away from that door. He will eventually get over whatever it was that caught his eye. OH and Welcome to TCS