Cat Suddenly Hissing At People

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is 1.5 years old and has always been very friendly and affectionate. She still is with me, but lately has been weary of visitors and has begun to hiss at my boyfriend.

She's always really liked my bf, we adopted her together, and used to pick him over me when it came to snuggles, but now not only does she pick me, she's started hissing at him when he makes contact. I travel a lot for work and he's her usual babysitter, but the last several months, I've been in town other than trips we've taken together. We don't live together, but he's usually over often, though it has been less frequent lately.

Other than slightly less exposure to him, nothing has changed.

Is there something we can do to rebuild their relationship?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if she is injured or if he is "roughhousing" with her. I have noticed men tend to play rougher, pick up more, handle rougher .... with kids and pets.

So it may be a smell he has, that he is being rougher or that your cat has an injury he keeps accidentally touching.

It may help for him to talk/touch your cat like you do. Also if you can, let him feed your cat all the treats/wet food/ dry food whenever possible.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did your boyfriend change perfume? Or laundry detergent? Or even started wearing leather jacket? Any other strong smell on him?

If a normally friendly cat would start hissing at me for no reason, I would go to a doctor myself for a check up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a tricky situation because it's a fairly recent change and we can't seem to figure out why. He hasn't been alone with her since the change has happened, so I can attest to the fact that he hasn't rough housed with her. Nether one of us do a lot of picking up of the cat, she tends to jump up in our laps when we're sitting. She will still jump on his lap and come to rub on his legs but when he goes down to pet her, she will often hiss or move away.

He's not touching places that I don't normally touch and she's pretty comfortable with her whole body being touched by me (she sleeps nestled under my arm, up against my armpit, with almost her full body in contact). I can rub her belly, hold and rub her paws, stroke her tail, pretty much anywhere and everywhere. He's not doing more than petting her head at the moment, which is usually one of her favorite spots (still is with me).

No recent change in detergent or cologne. He doesn't have pets, but he does often petsit his parent's labradoodle. It's definitely possible she's picked up the dogs scent before, but he does not always have that scent on him.

I've suggested that he try ignoring her for a bit and see if that lets her get comfortable again. She's really a social cat and hates being alone, so I imagine being ignored will not keep her away, just let her figure things out on her term. But I'm not sure if that will work. Right now the BF and I are both just eager to figure out what's upsetting her, especially given that he went from being her favorite to this.

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your cat is picking up the scent of your bf's parents' dog. This is one of the most possible answer to the puzzle.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is about the right age to be more aloof now too, females tend to become divas with age. It doesn't take much to scare them and make them wary, he might have just been too loud, or even had his phone ring loudly several times when he was over and you weren't there. Has there been any fighting or tension between the two of you, she may have picked up on that and took your side. In any case, don't force her to do anything she doesn't want, have him talk softly to her and leave treats on the floor when he leaves.It truly could be that she has just grown up and prefers you now. Cats usually hiss like that when they are scared or unsure of themselves, so SOMETHING happened, she is warning him off.

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Figuring out exactly what caused is, is probably difficult. But I would like to improve the relationship. Preferring me is one thing, hissing at him is another.

We can try food and treats, but she's not at all a food motivated cat, she eats for survival, not pleasure.

She still comes up to him and follows him around and will sit on his lap, but if he touches her, hiss. So, there is definitely something going on, but she's not fully afraid either

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder if he touched her once and she might have gotten a static shock? I know this time of year, with everything dry, I've felt the odd shock when I've touched Ruby. She doesn't seem to notice it, but maybe your cat did.

Does she hiss when he actually touches her? Or when he reaches out to touch her?

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if he touched her once and she might have gotten a static shock? I know this time of year, with everything dry, I've felt the odd shock when I've touched Ruby. She doesn't seem to notice it, but maybe your cat did.

Does she hiss when he actually touches her? Or when he reaches out to touch her?
Hmm.. good question. I want to say I've seen both, but one might be more common than the other.