Cat Suddenly Gets Aggressive Sometimes

Suziethekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three rescued cats they’re tabby with some mixed breed and one is black
They’re all male litter mates
They are 1 year olds and all along they were perfectly getting along well and love each other so much
Recently one of them (Oreo) is getting aggressive sometimes with his brothers
He hisses and attacks them and hide from them but he doesn’t attack me or my my sister whatsoever
Today he attacked my sister when she tried to separate him from fighting with his brother.
But then when I came he started to follow me, rub against my legs and so to my sister he wants attention but I ignored him hoping to correct his behavior.
Oreo is the sweetest of them he never attacks us or anything he’s so calm and loving, social and friendly even with strangers but I don’t know what happens to him recently he’s most of the time peaceful but sometimes gets territorial.
His brothers on the other hand are good with each, we seperate them at night so they don’t fight Oreo in our room and the rest in another room.
You may think that we love him the most and give him so much attention and maybe that’s why but no actually the one I give the most attention is not him it’s his other brother (Leo) he’s needy and loves attention and calls for me when I get out
He’s so far the most gentle one of them although he’s skittish and doesn’t like the rest of my family and he HATES strangers
He’s also mischievous (opens the drawers, wardrobe) x) but he’s my favorite
The black one (bagheera) is grumpy and lazy and doesn’t like being handled or petted for too long lol but he never attacks out of no reason and he also doesn’t like everyone he loves my youngest sister and he doesn’t mind her doing anything to him.
Oreo is sweet and loves everyone but he’s fearless he’s not scared of anything and that’s a bit of problem like when he does something wrong it’s hard to correct him and he’s also very stubborn unlike his brothers
They have some toys even tho they’re not interested in most of them lol. they had a cat tree but got broken, but they still have some places to climb and jump on
I was thinking maybe because he’s bored or something or I should try different toys he might like
Note: he doesn’t have any medical issues
And no he’s not neutred none of them actually is but they are all indoor cats only they NEVER got outside due to unsafety reasons (cars, aggressive cats and dogs, annoying kids)

I’m planning to neuter them soon when I move from this area as there is no good vet here the only one here doesn’t nueter
I have to go 10 hours ride for a better one
And this only vet is more like for farm animals he’s not good with cats at all even in just vaccinating
I’m very protective of my cats I never leave them alone for too long and I take good care of them more than I do to my self lol

I was wondering if this issue is because he’s not neutred or if it can be corrected

Any help would be appreciated

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 unneutered 1 year old males it is a miracle you don't have more problems. Yes, good chance the fighting is because of this, and also, sooner or later one or more will start spraying urine, and once that happens it is sometimes too late for neutering (meaning it doesn't always stop the spraying/marking if you wait till it starts).

If the local vet is bad with cats, you really need to get in the car and drive a little further. Otherwise, your going to have more problems.

We had a thread on this the other day, breeders talking about whether you can keep an unneutered cat in the house as a pet. And the breeders said, sometimes yes, not *all* are urine sprayers/markers but once they start, they are going to continue and there isn't any good solution unless you are interested in cat diapers. Thus, the breeders generally have a separate area exclusively for the unspayed/unneutered cats and do not keep them as pets. With 3 males, your luck is unlikely to hold -- your in a race against the clock. There is no fixed time for spraying/marking to start ... you are not remotely safe just because its been one year and you haven't yet had problems.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ditto everything A ArtNJ said.

Also, to separate them more safely, get a large piece of thick cardboard and place it in between the two cats. Ideally, after that you should also have some thick gloves (with arm coverings to the elbow), or a blanket the throw over the instigator, pick him up and move him to another location and then ignore him.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure this is about him not being neutered (3 male not neutered cats is like a ticking bomb :-) but did he have his blood and urine test done recently?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
with what the op said about the vet, who doesn't neuter and "And this only vet is more like for farm animals he’s not good with cats at all even in just vaccinating" it may not be safe to let him take their blood or even have them in his office. I shudder to think how the vet could screw up vaccinations, okay, I know how he could and that's barf level thoughts.

Since op is moving soon, it might be best to wait.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since op is moving soon, it might be best to wait.
I drove a considerable distance to get low cost spay & neuter because vets here charge exorbitant rates (Northern NJ). I saved over $200 AND had the procedure done by a vet that donates one day a week to this procedure -- and thus has massive experience. I know we do get posters from other countries where things are very different of course, but in the US, unless your in Alaska, there are probably 50+ vets within an hour, and there isn't much excuse not to get in your car for this one time procedure.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course we are assuming the op has a car.
True. I should know better than to make generalized statements which might offend someone like I did because I have some experience with parts of the US where things are VERY different. And I remember posts re other countries where vet care is incredibly hard. Just saying, since its a one time thing and very important, probably a way to get it done, at least in most places in the US.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suziethekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your suggestion
It’s obviously because they’re uneutred
To clarify to some of you I don’t live in the US, my area has only one vet which is the one i said isn’t good with anything other than farm animals
And there is another one which is better it’s one hour away from me and the cats go nuts every time I go
But it’s worth it because its way better than the one near me but they don’t do neutering, the vet there told me I should go to another city to get them neutred
Which is what I’m doing in the next months.
I have a friend that has an uneutred male Cat he’s like 6 years old and does not have any problems like spraying or anything he never had any accident

I’m really stressed out I hope nothing will happen to them till I move on :(