Cat suddenly fearful of boyfriend and I and it's breaking our hearts

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two kitties, Khaleesi (torbie DSH) and Kaylee (DLH). They're my first cats and the loves of my life and turned a year old this April.

Khaleesi is my brave girl - nothing phases her what-so-ever. She is extremely friendly and the more people around, the better. Kaylee, on the other hand, is the complete opposite and has been from the start. If there's more than 3 people in the house, she's hiding under mine and my boyfriend's bed. She's terrified of the vacuum and thunder and just a typical "scaredy cat," but has always responded well to my boyfriend and I.

Until recently. If I'm taking a walk into the kitchen and she's anywhere in my path or near me, she bolts to the bedroom to hide. If either of us approach her, she bolts to the bedroom to hide. She literally acts as if we abuse her and it's absolutely heartbreaking for the both of us. We feel like we have to walk on eggshells around her now because anything little thing will scare her off. She will occasionally curl up in our laps and snuggle, but it's not entirely common. 

As far as the household goes, nothing has changed. Food is the same, litter box/location/litter are the same, no other people living here, no new pets. They're both healthy and have their yearly check-up next month, so I'm hoping to get her evaluated more for maybe a medical reason.

The ONLY thing I can somewhat pinpoint are the two new outdoor (ugh) cats that moved in next door. It's summer here in MA, so we leave our slider door open for them because they love the birds and smells and breeze. For the past two or three months, however, there are two (sometimes 3) cats that come right up to the screen door and terrorize my girls. Khaleesi stands her ground and hisses when he/she approaches and Kaylee is sometimes pretty curious, but usually runs away. 

These outdoor cats wake my boyfriend and I up at 3 in the morning SCREAMING and yowling and fighting with one another in the worst way possible. I'm surprised they're both still alive honestly. Such selfish owners they have. Obviously my girls hear this and immediately run to any window to see what's going on.

I can only assume this is stressing Kaylee out. I'm also wondering if these cats are males and if they're marking around our property, which I assume is another stressor for cats.

I can't do anything about the outdoor cats, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do indoors or outdoors to prevent these cats from coming into my yard or helping Kaylee relax. Would Feliway be something to consider for her? Do you think this may be the cause of her worsening behavior? Any help would be appreciated. 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like you might be right about the outdoor cats. I suggest talking calmly to the neighbor, telling her what's going on and hopefully she will amend to it.

If not and it continues, you would have to make your yard unattractive to unwanted cats. I am on my phone so I can't link to resources on this- but some ideas are motion sensor water sprinkler or sounds. If they are using your garden as a litter box- put rocks or chicken wire to make it uncomfortable to dig through.

There are other ways I can't think of - I hope someone can offer more advice!