cat suddenly becomes agressive

luvfurbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 13 yr old Maine coon who was abused before I rescued him 6 years ago. He is passive and afraid of everyone but me. I have 2 dogs and another cat who is 2. Max...the maine coon has always been tolerant of new pets as he was one of the first with me. yesterday I was given a 6 yr old siamese when i introduced her to the upstairs area this morning max came out of the bedroom attacked both dogs who took it  with grace then attacked me requiring a visit to the doc for antibiotics. I am not sure what caused this or if i dare keep the new kitty. Any advice? The new furbaby is in a room with food water and litter but cant live that way forever. Im worried when I go to work if they are roaming free and Max does this again my large dog may kill him accidentally defending herself. My cat has no claws so all damage is done with teeth. Please give advice I dont want to get rid of my new kitty i believe in forever homes.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 13 yr old Maine coon who was abused before I rescued him 6 years ago. He is passive and afraid of everyone but me. I have 2 dogs and another cat who is 2. Max...the maine coon has always been tolerant of new pets as he was one of the first with me. yesterday I was given a 6 yr old siamese when i introduced her to the upstairs area this morning max came out of the bedroom attacked both dogs who took it  with grace then attacked me requiring a visit to the doc for antibiotics. I am not sure what caused this or if i dare keep the new kitty. Any advice? The new furbaby is in a room with food water and litter but cant live that way forever. Im worried when I go to work if they are roaming free and Max does this again my large dog may kill him accidentally defending herself. My cat has no claws so all damage is done with teeth. Please give advice I dont want to get rid of my new kitty i believe in forever homes.
What do you mean you introduced her? You are going to have to go very very slowly with introductions.  You say new kitty is in her own room now and that is where she should be.  You won't need to keep her there forever but you will need to keep her there, by herself, for a minimum of one week to let the others get used to her presence.  After a few days you can start scent swapping- bring something the new kitty has been using out, and let the others get more used to her scent.  Eventually, you will want to try introducing her while she is in a carrier or kennel.

For the time being I'd keep Max locked in his own room too when you go to work- for his safety and for the dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvfurbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wasnt trying to introduce my new furbaby to the other pets yet. just show her there was an upstairs, since she was hiding in my cold storage room when it all broke loose. guess i should have known better but every other cat i have owned as transitioned nicely without needing separation. I will be more careful and let her do it on her terms. thnks for reminding me how i should have been doing it instead of how i have been. 

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wasnt trying to introduce my new furbaby to the other pets yet. just show her there was an upstairs, since she was hiding in my cold storage room when it all broke loose. guess i should have known better but every other cat i have owned as transitioned nicely without needing separation. I will be more careful and let her do it on her terms. thnks for reminding me how i should have been doing it instead of how i have been. 
Oh I hope I didn't sound like i was criticizing.  It is really really easy for even really experienced owners to want things to go more quickly in terms of introductions.  Cats are so slow to adapt to a newbie sometimes and I know that can be frustrating but really sometimes it can take even a few months and then things still turn out okay.  For now it sounds like everyone is having reactions that are, if not ideal at all, typical at least to some degree.  I'd give it at least a few weeks before panicking unless Max keeps constantly having outbursts like the one he had today.

I think you sound like a great pet mommy :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvfurbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I in no way took it as criticism. Rather as advice. You are right I guess I was just excited due to this cat is known to love dogs and bonds well and my border collie/blue heeler has tried so hard to bond with max and failed. So again thank you again for reminding me my role in making this easier. I appreciate the advice. I called my mom and she just said get rid of the new one NOW lol. needed another furmommy advice.