Cat suddenly attacking other cat.

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Bellabear (1.5 year old female) suddenly started attacking my cat Atticus (a little under 1 year old male, fixed) The other night we were all sitting in the living room quietly and Bellabear heard Atticus and my other cat Molly play fighting...she immediately perked up and I thought she was going to go watch, which she likes to do. But, instead of watching, she jumped on Atticus and attacked him. It was a full blown fight. Very loud and Atticus got so scared he was howling and peeing. Now, every time they see each other, Bella attacks him. They got along fine before. I have them separated now because if I don't she will attack. Otherwise, she is fine. Loveable with us and with Molly. I put her food and water and litterbox in the backroom. I feel bad because I can hear her whining back there. But, I need to get this issue fixed. My boyfriend is threatening to throw them both outside if they don't stop. And,of course that would be horrible because they are indoor only cats with no experience of the outside. But, they can't continue this fighting either. I ordered some Rescue Remedy in the hopes that it will help things calm down...but I have to wait for it. What should I do in the meantime?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There may have been something different in the way they were playing. A different vocalization will set off a cat. She may have thought Atticus was attacking Molly and intervened. You didn't say, but is Bellabear spayed?

Right now, keeping them separated is the best thing you can do. I take it your boyfriend is not a cat person.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There may have been something different in the way they were playing. A different vocalization will set off a cat. She may have thought Atticus was attacking Molly and intervened. You didn't say, but is Bellabear spayed?

Right now, keeping them separated is the best thing you can do. I take it your boyfriend is not a cat person.
I agree. You may try doing reintroductions between Bella and Atticus. This article will help with that http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

I would also switch up who stays in the back room and do the reintroduction steps at the same time. A couple of feliway diffusers may help also. And if Bella is not spayed, doing so will also calm her down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I figured maybe it might have something to do with her hormones. I have an appt. to have her spayed. I guess I will keep them separated for now. I don't want to stress them out anymore. ;)