Cat suddenly afraid of going downstairs

pjd2884

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

This past weekend, I went to my parents house for an overnight trip. It was the first time since getting my kittens. The kittens are about six months old now. Upon returning yesterday, I brought in a bunch of boxes and bags and placed them in the living room by the front door. I left most of them there because I had some things for school to finish up. My one kitten had no problem, but the other ran upstairs and won't come back down. It's been 24 hours now and I get figure out why he is scared. I tried picking him and taken him downstairs but it didn't work. The first time he clawed me pretty good and ran back up stairs. The second time wasn't much better. Any ideas why could be making him afraid and any ideas how I can get him not to be scared going downstairs.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are often a bit scared by different. Looks different, smells different (especially if your parents have animals but even if they dont) and you probably made noise bringing it in. My adult cat and his deceased sister were both afraid of my mother's walker and hid most of Xmas several years running. Most cats seem to hide for hours to a day or so after the handyman comes.

Don't force it and things should be back to normal soon. If you can get the stuff sorted and put away that might help speed it up. If your parents have a pet, shower and change clothes to get the smell of ya.