Cat suckling behaviour?

Bee&Nala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I have a male cat, he’s Russian blue x Bengal. He will be 1 year in April. He’s amazing and we have a fantastic bond, I have no problems with him, more just a curiosity.
I bought him when he was 11 weeks old and since very soon after he came to live with us, he has always kneaded and suckled at my clothes with a clear preference for my dressing gown above all things lol. I’ve noticed it’s become quite a routine for him. He can be quite nervous and timid in some situations, for example if we have guests he’s not too keen and when they go he will come to me and suckle my robe or sweater or whatever I have on. And especially at night time he will jump into bed get under the duvet with me and suckle my pyjamas till he falls asleep. if I don’t go to bed at my usual time he will come looking for me and meow asking to go to bed, if I go he will skip happily to bed with me and jump right in and get to suckling!
I’ll be honest, I find it very endearing. He doesn’t do it to anyone else in our home.
He will even suckle on a T-shirt or something I’ve been wearing if I’m too busy to sit down and he feels so inclined.
The reason I’m asking about it is incase I’m being ignorant or missing something important. Is this a bad thing or a bad sign? Is it cool to allow it? Does it suggest anything negative I’m not picking up on? Should I be trying to stop it? I just honestly find it very cute and until now finding this site, never really had the audience to address it.
IMG_8635.jpeg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Suckling is usually a comfort or calming behavior. Some cats do it when they are stressed but it sounds like it's bedtime routine in your household too. Something some cats retain from their kitten hood as a transfer from nursing on their moms. It's usually seen with cats who are taken from their moms too early but it can also be just a habit they don't break when they get older.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are good with it, he's fine. Some cats do this, especially if they are removed from Mama a bit too soon. 16 weeks is the optimal age. My beautiful girl was ripped from her mama and dumped on me when she was not quite 5 weeks old, and did it all of her life, even though I bottle-fed her while completing her weaning. LOL, her chosen spot was the inside of my right elbow, and THANK GOODNESS, I am left-handed, so I could still function!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy Patches suckles on T-shirt shoulder always picks the seam. Bandit doesn't suckle but kneads and drools. Lucky suckles on anything fleece. My oldest is nearly 7 and has done it from being a kitten. I'm like you I think it's cute even if I'm left with a wet patch.:lol:

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat does this too, on fleece blankets or fluffy tops. I also find it very sweet.

It's not harmful or a sign of illness or anything, so enjoy the bonding time 🤗

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is actually a rather wonderful word for this, "smurgling." It involves one, or any combination of, these: kneading, suckling, drooling. My girl was what I refer to as a "second-degree smurgler." She kneaded, and suckled, but did not drool. Yes, it is a real word.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bee&Nala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg the wet patches at bedtime are the worst ones haha trying not to lay on them! :lol:

Smurgling! I love! :redheartpump: So cute!

So glad to hear we are not the only ones with this habit lol I’ve never had a cat do this before so I was quite taken back when it began!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, it is actually pretty common, you've just been lucky thus far! I lived for 16 years looking like I had some obscure skin disease, from Hek kneading VOLUPTUOUSLY on the skin of my inner right elbow. All those tiny pin-prick scabs from mid-forearm to just above my elbow. The last of the bitty scabs are gone now, and I find that I miss them.