Cat stratching too much

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 of my cats are stratching so much leaving a bad wound on their chin and neck.. and of them has potbelly and we dont hv a good vet here.. would be glad to hear from you what could it be

Attachments

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For sure, there is something making them to scratch - fungus, infection, parasites - to name only few causes.

I would refrain to give medical advise, because of real danger to hurt the cat. You can do it on private basis however, if you can find a vet to send a movie about the wounds (close ups included) and discuss remotely. Maybe he/she will direct you to perform some checks yourself or to film other parts of the body.

====

Some general ideas:
- check the food - I mean look, smell, check labels (do not assume it is ok because it looks ok: cat food contains meat, and meat degrades easily).
- make sure there is sufficient fresh water
- thoroughly clean the litter
- clean their living space more frequently
- remove flowers

I think it would be safe to separate the cats until you will find more about their condition.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The scratching could be anything from food to environmental allergies/intolerances. Do you use plastic bowls to feed them from? A lot of cats will get acne from plastic, so you'd be better of with stainless steel or porcelain. But, the pot belly is likely something else, such as parasites, just to name one possibility. Don't know where you are located, or what you mean that you have no good vet. You could search the internet for another vet somewhere nearby, or animal hospital, and have them checked out - especially the one with the pot belly.