Cat stopped eating his favorite food Venison but is starving

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t think anything is wrong with him. 2 weeks ago I went to vet and blood tests are normal. She told me he has a little dandruff so he isn’t getting the nutrition from his food anymore. She said it’s common when a cat has been eating the same food for 4 years. Anyway I tried something new and he vomited. I went back to the old food. He ate the old food for about a week now and starting two days ago he stopped eating it. He begs for food but only eats 1/3 of the venison. It’s like he hates it now. I gave him the new food and he eats it. Today he ate it and almost vomited. He stopped himself from vomiting.

I don’t know how to deal with this. It’s either he doesn’t eat which is not possible or he eats the new food but vomits it

hybriseris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah yes, I have what I would consider one of the pickiest cats on planet earth and play this game often.

First of all, when you feed him the new food, how fast does he eat? Is it possible he's "scarf and barf"ing the new stuff because he's hungry and likes it, so it comes right back up? If so you could get a lick mat or a slow feed bowl, or give it a bit at a time to force him to slow down.

If not, you could see if he'll eat part of the venison and part of the new stuff together. It's possible after having the venison so long, his stomach isn't handling the new stuff well and he may need to be transitioned.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think anything is wrong with him. 2 weeks ago I went to vet and blood tests are normal. She told me he has a little dandruff so he isn’t getting the nutrition from his food anymore. She said it’s common when a cat has been eating the same food for 4 years. Anyway I tried something new and he vomited. I went back to the old food. He ate the old food for about a week now and starting two days ago he stopped eating it. He begs for food but only eats 1/3 of the venison. It’s like he hates it now. I gave him the new food and he eats it. Today he ate it and almost vomited. He stopped himself from vomiting.

I don’t know how to deal with this. It’s either he doesn’t eat which is not possible or he eats the new food but vomits it
Is it mostly morning? Being without food for a long time can cause acid reflux so feed him with a timer at night. Very slowly add more of the new food to his bowl. It can take 2 weeks. He also may need smaller portions 3-4x a day. If he has not been eating for 2 days,take him back to the vet. He has to eat.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In addition to the above, if the vomiting on the new food continues, try a DIFFERENT new food. A different protein. I don't know what new food your tried, but lets say you switched him to turkey. If that doesn't suite him, try rabbit, or duck, or pheasant, etc. Or even Venison but a different brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it mostly morning? Being without food for a long time can cause acid reflux so feed him with a timer at night. Very slowly add more of the new food to his bowl. It can take 2 weeks. He also may need smaller portions 3-4x a day. If he has not been eating for 2 days,take him back to the vet. He has to eat.
He eats thankfully but 1/3 of what he usually eats. He’s definitely pooping every day still

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like you are giving him a transition between the foods. Can you mix them together so that he gets a taste of the new food but also gets enough of the old food so he doesn't vomit? It could be that there is nothing wrong with the new food except that it was introduced too quickly to him. I would start with 75% old food to 25% new food and give that a couple of days before trying a 50/50 mix. It should take you at least a week to get him eating 100% new food. Of course, if he continues to vomit with the new food even on a slower transition, then that new food may not be good for him at all.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like you are giving him a transition between the foods. Can you mix them together so that he gets a taste of the new food but also gets enough of the old food so he doesn't vomit? It could be that there is nothing wrong with the new food except that it was introduced too quickly to him. I would start with 75% old food to 25% new food and give that a couple of days before trying a 50/50 mix. It should take you at least a week to get him eating 100% new food. Of course, if he continues to vomit with the new food even on a slower transition, then that new food may not be good for him at all.
I can’t do that cuz he won’t eat the old food. He’s bored of it. He begs for food but won’t eat the old food

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t do that cuz he won’t eat the old food. He’s bored of it. He begs for food but won’t eat the old food
He won’t the old even with the new mixed in?

If you can’t get him to do an old to new transition, offer him reduced portions of the new. It’s what I call a naked transition. Offer him quarter portions the first day. If he can hold them down, offer him half portions the next day. It’s like a slow transition with the old food except you’re leaving the old food off the plate. It’s okay to underfeed him for a few days while his gut comes up to speed on the new food.

Once he’s up to speed on the new food, you can rotate between the two without transitions.

infrared

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes cats vomit because they eat too fast, try feeding your cat slowly and gradually, and hope she stops vomiting. In addition, you can also try canned cat food with a soft texture, or products that have a soothing effect on the intestines. I recently tried to get a french brand of cat canned in the US called Ousri pet food, and I really like the design and soft texture.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update. All of sudden he started to gobble up his food like there is no tomorrow. I think he may have a cold the past week. Something I didn’t notice. Seems his normal self. Running around like a champ