Cat Stool Not Quite Normal

snowcat7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have three adult cats, the older two are female, 7 years old, and have normal stools. I also have a one-year-old male that doesn't have diarrhea, but his stools are softer and smell bad. They all eat the same food, Max Cat dry and either Sheba wet or Fancy Feast (sometimes the girls will eat Whiskas chicken and duck pouches). Luka, the male, also has flatulence every now and then. 

I took in a stool sample for a fecal test to the vet today and they just told me it was negative.

Is there a supplement that will help?  Change foods?  Could he have allergies to something in the food?  Or is it just his unique digestive tract?

I'd just like it to be normal "consistency" like the older girls (and preferably not super stinky like it is). Sometimes when I hold him on my chest, after he jumps down I can smell a "poo" smell.  Otherwise is he healthy, playful, and a perfect size for his age.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Judy & Luka Bear

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has  he always been this way, or is this new?  There is a further fecal test that can be done that isn't the norm.  The Vet needs to send the smear to an outside lab for the PCR test, so the results aren't immediate, and it costs more, but sometimes this is the only way to find out what is causing issues, IF it's a parasite of some sort, like T-Foetus.

BUT, it could definitely be from a food intolerance or an "inbalance" of his gut flora.  Have you tried putting him on probiotics?  You might try that and see what happens, since it isn't actually diarrhea.  Lots of people swear by Nexabiotic (1/4 capsule in the morning and 1/4 in the evening)