Cat Stinks

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
phew!

My cat never smelled. She always had a great sweet smell but not anymore. Since this kidney constipation issue, she smells like poop. I’m wiping her down and maybe she smells “alright” for a day but then goes right back to stinking. I don’t have to be in her face to smell her. Just her sitting by me ... stinkeeee.

I’m guessing she’s licking her butt then... we’ll the rest of herself.

I do remember when my other cat got sick, he started to smell bad too. Just all the time. Ugh! I guess it’s the toxins and old age (17 yo). They just stop smelling nice.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is her diet like? When my cats smell like pee or poop, they usually are having trouble with the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her diet consists of what she’ll eat. She now refuses raw food. Able to get her on Nutro. But she’s picky with that. I have to buy more wipes.

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Always wet food. Plus my cat would never bother with chewing. She’s only ever eaten pate. I think she’s licking her butt before and after. As the constipation is an ongoing issue. She has to be licking poo.... one night she was acting funny. Yeah, at 12:30 am I’m picking poop off her butt and tail....aaaaand mopping my floor from all the poop skid marks. It’s super dry poop and got stuck to her fur. Gag remembering.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised she got constipation on all wet food. :(

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kidney disease requires a huge learning curve. Running into things I never thought of when she was just a “normal” cat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do her anal glands need to be expressed? Full glands secret horribly stinky secretions:barfgreen: You can ask the vet to check the glands and express them if needed. You can do this at home yourself. It can be messy and you may need an extra pair of hands to hold the cat. There are online videos and articles on how to express a cat's anal glands.

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg... you legit made me sick to my stomach.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her heart. Old age is hard on pets, and us. Our bodies do change, and do things we not always happy about. Hopefully we always have a loved one that helps us when it happens to us. Hopefully we can help out pets when it happens to them. I dont really think her grooming would cause her to smell. The anal gland issue is more likely. The vet should be able to take care of that for you, not something everyone can do themselves.

Best of luck to her, keep us updated.

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not even going to try and look at those videos or articles. I’m coughing just thinking about it. I’ve entered my kryptonite zone. Vomit, hairball, waxy ears .... poop and butts and expressing.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not even going to try and look at those videos or articles. I’m coughing just thinking about it. I’ve entered my kryptonite zone. Vomit, hairball, waxy ears .... poop and butts and expressing.
If it is not in your comfort zone then i would just bring it up with your vet. they should be able to take care of that for you. It would help her a lot to have it taken care of, if its the problem Vet visit is my suggestion. And if she is healthy enough a bath might be a good idea. If your not up to bathing her, cats can be difficult, you can check your local groomers. we have some that bathe cats.

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wiped her down, she then sauntered to her food dish...ate. Is now licking her entire body. Really!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have a vet check her anal glands and also her teeth. Is her breath awful? If so, she may have an abscessed tooth. I had a little dog pass with CKD not too long ago. In the final stages of kidney disease, she did become extremely stinky. The toxins build up in their little bodies and come out in "fumes" instead of being processed properly. :(

:alright:

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had vet check her teeth in February and they are fine. But he warned against continuing the dental crunches since she’s having kidney issues. He said they would dehydrate her more. I gave her a few dental crunches a week which kept her breath fine. Now.... holy apostles her breath stinks bad. I mean.... need to catch your breath, bad.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd give you vet a call for an opinion. Being really stinky is more than constipation. Something is "off" in her system.

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Trust me, she’s on the growing list of things that need immediate attention.