Cat Still Scratching After Applying Advocate

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi cat lovers,

Last night I applied Advocate for fleas, heartworm and worms on my cat and today she still seems to be scratching the back of her ears. Is this normal?

Also, I purchased Profender as that treats apeworms; how long do I wait before I can apply the Profender?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will scratch their ears due to earwax. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Sorry, but I don't know anything about Profender.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's also possible that your cat is allergic to flea dirt, so will still be scratching even when there are no live fleas.

I would call your vet to ask about applying two different medications close together.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi cat lovers,

Last night I applied Advocate for fleas, heartworm and worms on my cat and today she still seems to be scratching the back of her ears. Is this normal?

I think that's a spot-on treatment, where you put the flea med on the back of Jiggy's neck at the base of her skull -- right? I think it's pretty normal to have some itching back there where it was applied to her neck for a 1/2 day or a day. Then the itching should get better. If it doesn't and she's is still scratching, I'd call the vet and give an update, see what they say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that's a spot-on treatment, where you put the flea med on the back of Jiggy's neck at the base of her skull -- right? I think it's pretty normal to have some itching back there where it was applied to her neck for a 1/2 day or a day. Then the itching should get better. If it doesn't and she's is still scratching, I'd call the vet and give an update, see what they say.
Thanks so much for your response! I appreciate it so much :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Think about when you get bitten by an insect a mosquito or other sort that makes you itch. It usually takes a few days after the bite for the itching to stop. It's the same with flea bites.