Cat Still Pees Everywhere--Part 3

niki-nicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help Cat Angry Pees Everywhere
Still pees EVERYWHERE

So, there is parts 1 and 2.

Short version: Penny used to mostly be an only cat. We had other cats and dogs but they just ignored her and then died of old age when she was still pretty young. I got a cat a year before we got her, but I lived in KC at that time and only brought my cat home on summer and holiday school breaks. Now, after several years of collecting strays, Penny is one of 11 cats.

From watching a ton of Jackson Galaxy videos, I think she doesn't have confidence.

While we were renovating a room (middle room) that connects my mom's house with the extension they added for my sister, Penny has been secluded in my sister's room as it is her cat. It is a large bedroom, bathroom, loft, plant room, and even out to the deck and outside if she wants to roam for a few minutes. While she has been confined to this area--and no other cat has been in her area--she has stopped peeing/marking. My sister mostly stays in the room all day (mom and I come and go)--she sleeps in there and works in there. She comes out an hour for lunch and then supper and then in the evening we all watch our show together (Supernatural right now--mom loves Dean).

While the room was being worked on, we all went into Allie's room. We used to go in the middle room as it is an everything-room (sewing, desks, TV...) and we are back there now that it is finished. Now we kick all the cats out of the room and let her in with us. But she has started peeing in the room again.

So I guess my question is, can we keep her in that part of the house where she doesn't pee? She would only be alone during meals and evening. We will continue to work with her and build her confidence up. Has something like this happened to anyone else?

I'm too weak hearted to re-home any of our cats. They were all strays who found us, several with medical issues. They are all fixed (and all male but for my cat and one other stray) and generally mild mannered. No one really goes after her (she is scary). We tested her for allergies and she is allergic to nearly all trees and grass and such and most fish and such. We got her on Hare-Today's raw food that is just bone, organ, meat, and taurine. When she was on medication, she was so upset/paranoid about getting the medicine that it didn't really have any effect.

Do any of you have any advice? Short of calling Jackson Galaxy?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can, and probably should, let her stay (think of it that way) where she feels secure, especially since she will have human company much of the time. Make sure the room is enriched for her, with a cat tree or shelf-steps to climb, toys, food, water, litter box. She's already comfortable there, and it can be her safe haven while you slowly explore ways of integrating her with the rest of the cat family without undue stress. I'm wondering if she can be introduced to just one cat at a time. That's certainly worth exploring. Preferably a neutered male with a quiet, calm disposition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

niki-nicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reassurance! We have been doing this--especially since a few days after I posted this, a 4-week old kitten came to our porch and asked for help! She takes a long time to be comfortable with new cats.

We have some cat towers in there for her, but we will catify it more.

Thanks again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

niki-nicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! What did you do?
Scooped him up. He was too young or hungry to be scared and he was purring instantly. I looked around for other kittens or his mom, but didn't see/hear anything. He was fine at first, but then got weak/lethargic and his rectum came out a bit when he pooped. We removed hundreds of tiny ticks ticks off him and got him wormed. He bounced back after 2 days and has gained a half pound!

His name is Bobby and he has become number 12 in our house.

All of our cats are strays who found us and stuck around after we spayed/neutered them. We live near a lake and I wonder if some of these cats used to be cats of people who stayed here for the summer and then didn't want to take them home. We are going to have to start fostering future cats, but right now, we have room.