Cat still getting occasional diarrhea out of the litter box after switching to new wet food (it’s been almost a month)

makeuplover8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My cat has a sensitive tummy. Recently, I switched her from Friskies to Weruva. She never had diarrhea issues with Friskies because she was eating it for 1 year. She is loving her Weruva wet food but unfortunately she has had 3 accidents out of the litter box this month.

Her diarrhea is odorless and fragmented and she can’t make it to the litter box when that happens and she goes on the floor.

The first time she got diarrhea on this food it was understandable because she was new to the food and she ate too much of it. The second time she got diarrhea she ate her leftover food again after an hour and had an accident. Today, she had accident again but she ate it like how she usually does so I’m worried and don’t know exactly why it’s happening. I’m not sure if she isn’t use to a certain flavor or can’t digest the ingredients in that certain flavor. She has 5 different flavors and she eats her food in the morning and night. Of course I give her fresh food for every meal.

Any advice on what to do? She has had her stool checked in the past and she has no parasites.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Would there be a way that you could add a mid day meal? Maybe smaller more frequent meals would work better?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

makeuplover8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Would there be a way that you could add a mid day meal? Maybe smaller more frequent meals would work better?
I definitely can but my girl doesn’t have that big of an appetite. I’m worried it will make her diarrhea worse because she would be eating it more often then. Just like I said the second time she has diarrhea she ate it again after an hour and had an accident. That was a little more than a week ago.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was trying to say that maybe more frequent smaller meals might be easier on her stomach/digestive system. Or, what if you rotated the two foods?

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gums in canned food can possibly cause diarrhea and Weruva sometimes uses a LOT of gums. Many of their flavors use several types of gums and/or gums may be very high in the ingredient list. If smaller meals don't work out, try looking for foods with fewer gums (gums are in most canned foods and can be hard to avoid entirely).

Pet Food Ingredients to Avoid: Xanthan Gum

Pet Food Ingredients to Avoid: Guar Gum

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try giving her s boulardii, its a pre and probiotic. Mix half a capsule in her food twice a day for 3 days, you should see a difference.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely can but my girl doesn’t have that big of an appetite. I’m worried it will make her diarrhea worse because she would be eating it more often then. Just like I said the second time she has diarrhea she ate it again after an hour and had an accident. That was a little more than a week ago.
A week+ is a long time. A vet visit might help. My cat Maggie had loose stools, slightly too much in her colon. Vet gave her a steroid shot. Your cat may simply be allergic to something or medical. Diaheria can make her dehydrated