Cat still coughing/sneezing

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

One of my cats has been coughing or possibly sneezing on and off for almost 10 months now. I did take him to the vet and there was a lot of inflammation in his lungs so he was given prednisolone and was doing very well on it. He actually stopped coughing completely. About a month after he was done though he started doing it again, although it hasn't been as bad. I've caught him maybe once a week. Does this look like asthma? I've watched a couple videos of asthmatic cats and I'm not sure that's what he has. He had x-rays as well and his vet said she didn't see anything abnormal besides the inflammation. He tested negative for heartworm as well.

At the same time, he did have giardia but he has since tested negative for that. I would really like to get him healthy again since the giardia made him lose weight but he doesn't seem to have that great of an appetite yet either. Does anyone else's cat do something similar to the video attached?

Cat reverse sneezing?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't personally interpret what is going on in that video. But I can say that whatever is causing the problem hasn't been resolved, and prednisolone was just a temporary band aid. Asthma can generally be seen on an x-ray, so if the vet is not seeing signs of that, then it is likely something else is causing the inflammation. Allergies, particularly environmental ones, perhaps?

Have you spent some time reading about possible causes?
Chronic Inflammation of the Bronchi in Cats | PetMD
Lung Ailments: A Widespread Source of Feline Woe | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I can't personally interpret what is going on in that video. But I can say that whatever is causing the problem hasn't been resolved, and prednisolone was just a temporary band aid. Asthma can generally be seen on an x-ray, so if the vet is not seeing signs of that, then it is likely something else is causing the inflammation. Allergies, particularly environmental ones, perhaps?

Have you spent some time reading about possible causes?
Chronic Inflammation of the Bronchi in Cats | PetMD
Lung Ailments: A Widespread Source of Feline Woe | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
I have spent a little time reading about possible causes and his symptoms seem to mostly resemble asthma or bronchitis. His vet did bring up bronchitis and heartworm at first but she didn't see anything on the xray for heartworm and his test was negative too. That was all in June and it didn't start getting worse again until a few weeks ago. I think ill make a follow up appt for him now since the frequency of his coughing is getting worse again.

I was just curious to see if anyone with a cat that has asthma has had their cat have similar attacks. I've researched asthma a little bit and the videos I've seen seem different but maybe each cat sounds different when they are experiencing an asthma attack.

Hopefully I can get more answers when I take him in. It could very well be an environmental allergy as well. His appetite is okay but he's still not gaining weight. Not losing anymore weight though either so I guess thats good. Otherwise, he's acting normal. He has good energy and still wants to be social and play.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Tessa has asthma and her asthma attacks do not look like that video. But I can’t say what exactly is happening in that video. Tessa uses an inhaler to control her asthma, as well as an albuterol inhaler when things get bad (like now, in this crazy 100 degree September we’re having). She also gets a cortisone shot every couple months, but her asthma is pretty severe. There can be side effects, but in her situation, the pros outweigh the cons.
When she has a bad attack, she more wheezes than sneezes.
I hope the vet can help figure out what’s going on with your kitty!

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Tessa has asthma and her asthma attacks do not look like that video. But I can’t say what exactly is happening in that video. Tessa uses an inhaler to control her asthma, as well as an albuterol inhaler when things get bad (like now, in this crazy 100 degree September we’re having). She also gets a cortisone shot every couple months, but her asthma is pretty severe. There can be side effects, but in her situation, the pros outweigh the cons.
When she has a bad attack, she more wheezes than sneezes.
I hope the vet can help figure out what’s going on with your kitty!
Thank you for responding. I really thought it was sneezing or even reverse sneezing that he was doing but his vet was calling it coughing. She watched a couple videos I had and forced him to do what he is doing at his appt in June and said it was definitely coughing. Hopefully I will get some answers next week because this has been on and off for close to a year now.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat who has asthma and a cat who does reverse sneeze on occasion. Neither look like what your girl is doing. This looks like sneezing. Are the sneezes productive or are they dry? Does she get a daily antihistamine? Do you use any scented plug ins or put scented powder on your carpet? If not, I would have the PCR URD panel run on her to rule out any underlying conditions. (URD=Upper Respiratory Diseases)

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who has asthma and a cat who does reverse sneeze on occasion. Neither look like what your girl is doing. This looks like sneezing. Are the sneezes productive or are they dry? Does she get a daily antihistamine? Do you use any scented plug ins or put scented powder on your carpet? If not, I would have the PCR URD panel run on her to rule out any underlying conditions. (URD=Upper Respiratory Diseases)
No I dont give him any allergy pills but I probably should. I was using plug ins but I haven't for months and I won't be again after reading about how harmful they can be. I do use a febreeze pet odor spray and candles sometimes. No scented powder on the carpet though.

I have a cat who has feline herpes and has flare ups several times a year but he doesn't sneeze like Philly does. I have 4 cats in total and philly is the only cat that has never had a flare up previous to this year. The sneezing that is coming from philly is dry. Nothing is coming out when he has his attacks. It almost looks like he is trying to get a hairball out but it never comes. He never sounds stuffy or out of breath either. He runs around and plays with my other cats just fine.

I do have another appt for him next week so I will ask about that PCR test. He did have a blood test last time he went in June and they tested for heartworm but nothing came back abnormal.