Cat starting to not like her foods and eating less

dthlo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5yr old indoor cat has loved her wet food for the past 2 years (alternate between 3 different flavors) since she was adopted, but recently has been only eating half her portion. Have to mix in treats in order to get her to finish. Is this common? No health issues identified. I've tried other flavors in the past, but these 3 were her favorites.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats tend to get tired of their foods quicker than others, but keep in mind there seems to have been a lot of changes made to cat food over the course of the COVID pandemic. So, it is possible that the ingredients, texture, flavor have been changed enough for your cat to notice.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could be a batch of food that your cat detects is "yucky". Try buying the same brand and variety of canned food with a different lot / batch number. The number is usually printed on the bottom of the can along with a best by date.

A trip to the vet wouldn't be a bad idea. Dental issues can be painful and result in a cat not eating much. Underlying health issues that aren't visible can also cause a cat to not eat much.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take your cat to the vet first, then try that different batch idea.

My picky brat goes through 10-15 flavors every month (he gets 2 cans a day.) I rotate about 6-9 flavors so he doesn’t get the same flavor for a couple days and buy a variety pack of two of pouches of a different brand. If he dislikes a flavor, I will sometimes hide it for 2-4 months and then try it again. You can also try food toppers like bonito flakes.