Cat started urinating outside litter box - vet says not medical. I'm stumped.

joyceshouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't speak to them all. I have been happy with the rug doctor product "urinate eliminator". it comes in a red spray bottle. you can get it wherever they rent rug dr. carpet cleaning machines.  

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're gonna need an enzyme cleaner to get rid of it for good.
Here's an article about it :[article="29728"]How To Remove Cat Urine  [/article]
Are there any others problems with Stormy? Any changes in behavior? You said he was a happy-go-lucky-cat, has that changed?

Please don't feel like a bad furmom about this. You're here, looking for help, you're doing everything you can to fix the problem. That's a good furmom in my book

Keep coming here, read about cats, vent if you want to, but most importantly : post some pictures

We want to see Pusheen and Stormy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bev yap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you done anything to her? De-clawing (which is pretty horrible if you ask me), for an example? Vaccinating? Anything?
I'm asking that because my rabbit (yes, rabbit) when his claws were cut, was angry at us and peed and pooped everywhere. After they grew again he stopped. He wasn't in any pain, I know for sure, but he just was angry because we cut his claws.

Just a note to @basschick

if cats share the same litterbox it doesn't have to mean one of the cats is going to pee outside of the litterbox. I know that because my Lola and Lucy share the same litterbox and don't make any mess :)
but that is, of course, because they're sisters and known themselves since birth
so it's probably different for other cats
No. They're not declawed. I think that is a horrible practice.
Nothing has happened to him recently. I have been trimming his nails bi-weekly since he was a kitten and he is extremely good about it. He actually purrs when it's getting done and gives me no struggle. He enjoys the treat he gets afterwards.

Like I said, sharing the litterbox is not the issue. They have 3 boxes for 2 cats. They get along like gangbusters.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to add my two cents. I bought a kitten from a breeder who told me he used pine litter. I continued to use it until a few months later after my kitten started urinating outside her litter box. I scoured the net and tried a lot of things. I believe the litter was the problem but meanwhile she'd decided that she liked going in a number of places. Most of which were soft like the doona, the lounge, a throw on the bed etc. I'm not saying that this was also the case for your particular cat, I think the poster who said your cat may have been traumatised by your partner leaving may be right? 

Anyway, I used enzymic cleaner but but by then she believed that the places she'd gone were her toilet so I bought a thick plastic tarpaulin for the bed and tried feeding her in the places she'd previously gone as I'd heard that cats won't go where they eat. This worked for some places, I used lavender oil (some people swear by citrus) to dissuade her from the lounge.

I was going to also try litter attract but by the time it was delivered from the Amazon in the US she was fine. I've never had a problem since. Good luck.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Just a note to @basschick  

if cats share the same litterbox it doesn't have to mean one of the cats is going to pee outside of the litterbox. I know that because my Lola and Lucy share the same litterbox and don't make any mess :)

but that is, of course, because they're sisters and known themselves since birth

so it's probably different for other cats
i know, but i've seen it cause problems if one of the other cats has a UTI or is on medication. 

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Bev Yap

Thanks for the pics, they are gorgeous! I love Stormy's selfie. Is it a drawing of him in the background? If so, I'm wondering if that would make this a double selfie

How is it going? Any accidents since the last one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bev yap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lyzzie Lyzzie
Thanks! Thanks for checking in.
So far no accidents.
Stormy is, as per usual sleeping and cuddling me when I'm sleeping.
I've closed off the guest bedroom door and have been dousing the mattress with Nature's Miracle Just for Cats.
Then leaving it after blotting.
I bought a black light and have been checking diligently.
I think my partner threw the bedding, sheets, and mattress cover all into the laundry machine with oxiclean and apple cider vinegar and regular detergent. He must have used the sanitize cycle.
I tried to use a black light to detect the stains but I haven't found anything yet. I just doused the whole mattress pad in Nature's Miracle.
Hopefully they are no longer there.
In the meantime, the guest room will be closed, and I keep Stormy in the bathroom when I'm out of the house. It's a little easier this way and since I'm mostly working at home it's never that long that I leave him there.
I feed him his meals in the bathroom, so he likes being in there.
Hopefully we can get back to normal in a week or so!

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're welcome! It's good that nothing more happened. And the soaking and the black light, you're going all out for this kitty, that's great!

Keep the guest room closed for now.

I wanted to ask about a timeline on the peeing. When was it?

IMHO, since it only happened two times, always in the same spot, I wouldn't put him in a separate room. I know you don't want to keep cleaning and washing stuff tho. Maybe do a trial next time you're going out for a short while?