Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community
  1. Hey, Guest,
    Ever wondered if your cat is related to any breed? Or about their wild ancestry? Now's your chance to find out - and help promote research into feline health too!

We're giving away two genetic testing kits by Basepaws - Click here to enter the giveaway

Cat Started Drooling While Staring At His Litter Box??

Discussion in 'Cat Behavior' started by tnbsp, May 16, 2018.

1. tnbsp

tnbsp Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Jan 6, 2018
    Ok, so like the title... this is what happened. I will admit it was time for me to completely empty the box today and so it smelt bad and was getting a bit gross...

But has anyone seen this? Why would he look scared and drool while examining his litter box? Because it was so gross, he didn't like the smell?

I just thought this was a weird phenomena and was curious what you all thought, it was so strange, so I had to ask. He just drooled a bunch all over the floor, looked a little nervous, and then used the other litter box which is in a different room.

2. Mamanyt1953

Mamanyt1953 Rules my home with an iron paw Staff Member Forum Helper

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Um...Possibly? Cats are so very odd about their boxes, aren't they? And they have issues with change, so going from a very over-full box to an empty one in one fell swoop might have thrown him a bit. I'll be interested to know if he continues to avoid that box, though.

3. tnbsp

Jan 6, 2018
    Yes, I'm definitely going to be observing to see if he'll use that box again... it was super weird. I feel bad for the poor guy!

Mamanyt1953 purraised this.
  4. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    Upstate NY
    How gross was the box? Maybe he licked himself after going potty and it tasted yucky and he drooled?

5. tnbsp

Jan 6, 2018
    hmm.. that would make sense but I was with him and he hadn't entered it yet from what I saw... it was like the smell made him drool! oops

Mamanyt1953 purraised this.
  6. Sarthur2

Sarthur2 Cat lady extraordinaire Staff Member Advisor

Mar 8, 2015
    Sunny Florida
    How often do you scoop the box?

7. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Cats drool when something tastes bitter, so it would make sense. I hate to admit it, but that happened to me once when I was using non-clumping litter. I didn't change it often enough. Now I use clumping litter, which I can let go longer.

Mamanyt1953 and tnbsp purraised this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel TCS Member Adult Cat

Apr 14, 2018
    New York, NY
    If you notice him drooling in other situations it may be an indication of oral health problems. I think cats drool for multiple reasons, including something gross smelling/tasting, oral pain, and sometimes they'll drool a little even when they're happy and relaxed.

9. KarenKat

KarenKat TCS Member Adult Cat

Apr 4, 2018
    My roommate’s cat Leia did this a few years ago. He found out that his kibble had actually expired (he liked buying in large quantities and wasn’t paying attention to how long the bag was opened). Sounds like it’s in line with what @maggiedemi said about a bitter taste maybe.

Mamanyt1953, tnbsp and maggiedemi purraised this.
  10. tnbsp

Jan 6, 2018
    Ohhh thanks guys for the tips about other reasons cats might drool, that's good to know. Maybe it was just the bad smell.. he hasn't drooled any other times that I know of.

And to answer @Sarthur2, I scoop the poo everyday, but I'm using pellets because my other cat has asthma and I didn't like the dust I was getting from the clay.. But, it is hard to get the urine out and remove it since it doesn't clump. I dump the entire box once a week. I'm thinking of investing in the Breeze system soon, hopefully that'll help

Mamanyt1953 and Sarthur2 purraised this.
  11. tnbsp

Jan 6, 2018
    Thanks for sharing Maggie, that was probably exactly what happened to me here.

Mamanyt1953 and maggiedemi purraised this.
  12. danteshuman

danteshuman TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 27, 2017
    California
    My 2 cents? Add another box and change out one box on Sat and another on Monday or Tuesday? See if it helps spacing it out? Also for 2 cats you need at least 2 boxes, maybe 3.

Mamanyt1953 and Sarthur2 purraised this.
  13. Mamanyt1953

Mamanyt1953 Rules my home with an iron paw Staff Member Forum Helper

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Hekitty and I have had good luck with either corn or walnut based litters. No dust, good odor control, and clumps well.

danteshuman purraised this.
  14. tnbsp

Jan 6, 2018
    good to know! I'm using yesterday's news at the moment, that'd be nice to have clumping back, i'll look into it

danteshuman and Mamanyt1953 purraised this.