Cat started being moody out of nowhere to my other cat?!

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I was wondering if I could get some advice here. I have two kittens-Penelope who is 10 months and Ivy who is 7 months! They have been best friends and have always got along. Penelope has always been the moody one and the only time she will growl at Ivy is if she is overcrowded which I heard some cats dislike.

Recently in the past 2 days Penelope out of nowhere will become extremely moody and growl at Ivy if she jumps up on the bed near her or today she just randomly lunged at her and pushed her off the bed. I am so confused by this behavior as it’s only temporary. This morning they were playing and grooming each other. Ivy just takes it and is very submissive to Penelope but I feel bad for her. Penelope is eating normally and playing (no hiding) so I don’t worry it’s anything medical. However I find the random changes in behavior so odd the last couple of days?? It seems she gets annoyed with Ivy very easy during certain times of the day. (Not the same time of day each time she does this) I should also say that Penelope will just mostly growl and swat Ivy she doesn’t continue to attack ivy but I still am not crazy about her behavior.

Has anyone ever experienced this with their cats? Any advice would help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Based on the behaviors you're describing, I'd still suggest a vet checkup if she hasn't had one recently. She just sounds unusually cranky, and the inconsistency of it makes me really wonder if something with her is out of whack. Plus, it doesn't sound strong enough to be redirected aggression.

35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't have much to offer, but it isn't always the sick cat that is doing the lashing out - sometimes a health issue in one cat can lead another cat to lash out at the sick one. And just because a cat is eating normally and playing doesn't necessary guarantee that is a totally healthy cat. They are young but that doesn't mean there can't be something going on from a health perspective.

Do these cats go outdoors at all? If so, one could be bringing in smells that the other cat finds 'offensive'. A few TCS articles to ponder over in case they might trigger some other possible causes for you to look for.
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Acting Strangely? Here’s What It Could Mean – TheCatSite Articles
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do) – TheCatSite Articles

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If they are both fixed, there’s no hormones raging then there is no reason for change In behavior . They are both young and playful kittens something must be going on with one of them. It’s not necessarily kitten acting out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the feedback!! I am going to observe her behavior for another day or so and if she is still acting out I will call the vet to have her checked out. They are both spayed and both do not go outside. My kitten Ivy got spayed just over 2 weeks ago (so she’s been to the vet recently and everything was normal) and Penelope hissed at her some when she came home but then eventually things went back to normal. Penelope just got spayed in January of this year and she was perfectly healthy but I understand some time has passed. I will also say that Penelope won’t just randomly attack her. They were actually just playing together and Penelope was letting Ivy groom her. But then 5 minutes later Ivy walks over to Penelope and Penelope swatted at her. It might be the invasion of space type of behavior I have seen before? For example- I see it most often when I open then Window and Penelope gets in the window and Ivy tries to jump up there with her, she will get mad and sometimes swat at her (not always) and I read that some cats do not like overcrowding? It definitely makes sense because I see Penelope act out only when Ivy starts to get in her space. But again, this is very hot and cold. Sometimes she doesn’t care and sometimes she’s not having it.

the more I think about it she also does this most often when the windows are open- this is going to sound odd but could she getting scents from other cats from outside and this is some sort of redirected aggression? There are a couple of stray cats we see from time to time in our backyard which is where she looks out from when we open the windows..

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
she also does this most often when the windows are open- this is going to sound odd but could she getting scents from other cats from outside and this is some sort of redirected aggression?
Could definitely be :). Would you be interested in trying motion activated sprinklers, or air sprayers to try and keep the outside cats from coming into your yard?

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the feedback!! I am going to observe her behavior for another day or so and if she is still acting out I will call the vet to have her checked out. They are both spayed and both do not go outside. My kitten Ivy got spayed just over 2 weeks ago (so she’s been to the vet recently and everything was normal) and Penelope hissed at her some when she came home but then eventually things went back to normal. Penelope just got spayed in January of this year and she was perfectly healthy but I understand some time has passed. I will also say that Penelope won’t just randomly attack her. They were actually just playing together and Penelope was letting Ivy groom her. But then 5 minutes later Ivy walks over to Penelope and Penelope swatted at her. It might be the invasion of space type of behavior I have seen before? For example- I see it most often when I open then Window and Penelope gets in the window and Ivy tries to jump up there with her, she will get mad and sometimes swat at her (not always) and I read that some cats do not like overcrowding? It definitely makes sense because I see Penelope act out only when Ivy starts to get in her space. But again, this is very hot and cold. Sometimes she doesn’t care and sometimes she’s not having it.

the more I think about it she also does this most often when the windows are open- this is going to sound odd but could she getting scents from other cats from outside and this is some sort of redirected aggression? There are a couple of stray cats we see from time to time in our backyard which is where she looks out from when we open the windows..
Well, there is your answer, most likely. Open window is like a book or a tv of some sort. Your cat is probably on a high alert and usually agitated by the smells and sounds in a sense she is guarding her domain. I’m not calling this redirected aggression because that doesn’t happen to kittens or at least I never heard of it but you kitten is more aggressive because of alertness and she is probably easier to get agitated to begin with. Test it, don’t open the windows for a couple of days and see what happens.