Cat Staring At Us Across The Room For Hours - Change To Behaviour

IPYF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
x post from Reddit because I was recommended to post here.

Our cat's behaviour has recently changed and it's very unnerving. When we first got her when she was a skittish and standoffish cat who didn't like us at all, constantly bolting and hiding under the couch. Over the course of about a year she settled into a sweet but still timid friend who would sit on the couch with us, play, and generally be sweet and calm. Recently we think we might have inadvertently interfered with this as there's only one thing that has changed that we know of, and we're not sure how to proceed.

Over Christmas we discovered that she liked to play with a piece of string that we'd taken off a present. Her reaction to the string is about 40000% more enthusiastic than any of her other toys and because she liked it so much we went along with it, because she was enjoying it and it was fun and we didn't think we could cause harm introducing a game. Problem is it looks like we might have.

Her regular behaviour is now just sitting on her haunches in the living room about 6 feet from the couch, eyeballing whoever is in the room, sometimes for literally hours, and it's grown to the point where she's almost too unnerving to be around. She won't lie down and she won't settle. The only thing that seems to adjust this behaviour is if someone gets her string, or any string-like object moves. Headphones, a power cable, a shoelace. If anything like that twitches she'll leap up and instantly seek to play, leading me to believe that she's sitting and staring because she's waiting for us to get up and play string. She won't sit with us on the couch and cuddle anymore, and won't sit by herself in a relaxed manner. It's like she's a brand new cat with a new singular focus.

We're still playing with her, because it's the only nice and interesting thing we can do with her now, and we initially had hoped that 'playing her out' would settle her into relaxing, but we have no luck. She's like the Energiser bunny and even if I play string for 30 minutes she just returns to her spot and starts eyeballing you again. It's like she's constantly in predator mode, and all the calming acclimation of the past year has just vanished.

It's been this way for about a fortnight now and things are now uncomfortable and she's actively annoying us. We really enjoyed that she had settled and became loving because we'd had such challenges with initial nervousness that we thought she'd constantly be unhappy in our home. Now we seem to have wrecked it and we're just getting glared at. We're starting to feel like we've broken her, or shaken a screw loose in her brain just by introducing a new game that everyone liked.

There are no known underlying medical issues (was vet checked and vaxxed in early Dec.) and nothing else we know of has changed (no poor treatment or known shocks)

Does anyone have any advice? I've had conflicting advice so far of "Play more" to "Take the string away for good and wait for her to get over it" but I just have no good idea as to what I should do.

1st post so if I've done something wrong here let me know.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The pic at left is my Willow, a rescue, who spends at least an hour staring at me each night. There isn’t really anything she wants, she just stares I think because it gives her some kind of comfort. Yes, a little bit creepy but harmless.

As far as your cat, I defnitely don’t think she is really glaring at you, but she is studying you and trying to get you to read her mind “PLEASE get my string!”. Pretty normal when a cat loves, loves a toy. Have you tried just leaving out a few shoelaces for her? I would also try tieing one on a door knob maybe with a toy attached.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 . A thought, What would happen if you played string until she actually got truly worn out? Sounds like that might take both of you, which actually is another thought, what about during another playtime both of you with several strings really get her going?

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about a variety of new toys things that have strings with feathers things that have mice things with catnip just something for the boredom and I didn't see how old your cat was but maybe it has something to do with age related illness or something

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IPYF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all. To respond to a couple of points, she just turned 3 so she's definitely still a teenager. We have sought several times to exhaust her and just wound up exhausted ourselves. 30-40 minutes sunk in and she just rotates back to her starting pad and recommences staring. We've both tried this.

I might try leaving some string lying around, but it doesn't seem to be of interest when it's not 'live'. I could likewise try and rig something up for her so she can play under her own steam. I dunno though. Common cat tricks don't work on her. She has no response to catnip or Feliway or any similar calming products.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does she always stare from the same location? If so, that could be from where she considers the game to start. One of my guys plays fetch and will run to the bottom of the stairs when I say "Wanna PLAY!" Full out run like he's being chased.

Your girl sounds like she has a lot of energy - make/get a ball with strings (like the tail of a kite) and work with her to play fetch. Make her run and jump and climb chasing it. (And I cannot offer any instructions on how to teach a cat to play fetch. Barry figured out the game and I just followed his cues.)

Have you looked for a cat tree that has a poof-ball on a string - that might keep her occupied.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some auto toys like a laser light might also help. I have one that sends the light in a circle in an erratic pattern. It’s a little hard in batteries but the cat loves it and all I need to do is turn it on and she is entertained and exercised for at least a half hour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IPYF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some auto toys like a laser light might also help. I have one that sends the light in a circle in an erratic pattern. It’s a little hard in batteries but the cat loves it and all I need to do is turn it on and she is entertained and exercised for at least a half hour.
Yeah as I said in a previous post, usual cat stuff doesn't work here. Laser pointer included. Zero interest whatsoever in that. My take is that she's clever enough to realise it isn't real and isn't interested in chasing something she can't physically bite. Physical human to cat play is the only thing she's sort of into, and the string is the only thing she really wants to play with.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
x post from Reddit because I was recommended to post here.

Our cat's behaviour has recently changed and it's very unnerving. When we first got her when she was a skittish and standoffish cat who didn't like us at all, constantly bolting and hiding under the couch. Over the course of about a year she settled into a sweet but still timid friend who would sit on the couch with us, play, and generally be sweet and calm. Recently we think we might have inadvertently interfered with this as there's only one thing that has changed that we know of, and we're not sure how to proceed.

Over Christmas we discovered that she liked to play with a piece of string that we'd taken off a present. Her reaction to the string is about 40000% more enthusiastic than any of her other toys and because she liked it so much we went along with it, because she was enjoying it and it was fun and we didn't think we could cause harm introducing a game. Problem is it looks like we might have.

Her regular behaviour is now just sitting on her haunches in the living room about 6 feet from the couch, eyeballing whoever is in the room, sometimes for literally hours, and it's grown to the point where she's almost too unnerving to be around. She won't lie down and she won't settle. The only thing that seems to adjust this behaviour is if someone gets her string, or any string-like object moves. Headphones, a power cable, a shoelace. If anything like that twitches she'll leap up and instantly seek to play, leading me to believe that she's sitting and staring because she's waiting for us to get up and play string. She won't sit with us on the couch and cuddle anymore, and won't sit by herself in a relaxed manner. It's like she's a brand new cat with a new singular focus.

We're still playing with her, because it's the only nice and interesting thing we can do with her now, and we initially had hoped that 'playing her out' would settle her into relaxing, but we have no luck. She's like the Energiser bunny and even if I play string for 30 minutes she just returns to her spot and starts eyeballing you again. It's like she's constantly in predator mode, and all the calming acclimation of the past year has just vanished.

It's been this way for about a fortnight now and things are now uncomfortable and she's actively annoying us. We really enjoyed that she had settled and became loving because we'd had such challenges with initial nervousness that we thought she'd constantly be unhappy in our home. Now we seem to have wrecked it and we're just getting glared at. We're starting to feel like we've broken her, or shaken a screw loose in her brain just by introducing a new game that everyone liked.

There are no known underlying medical issues (was vet checked and vaxxed in early Dec.) and nothing else we know of has changed (no poor treatment or known shocks)

Does anyone have any advice? I've had conflicting advice so far of "Play more" to "Take the string away for good and wait for her to get over it" but I just have no good idea as to what I should do.

1st post so if I've done something wrong here let me know.
No, I don't think you've done anything "wrong" and it seems there is nothing "wrong" with your cat -- it is just her personality and her current interest. Please DO NOT LEAVE STRINGS, shoelaces or other things like that lying around -- she could be seriously harmed, or worse, if she swallows any of these! Im astounded that no one has brought this up.
Only use these types of toys when YOU are holding them for her.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried just leaving out a few shoelaces for her?
I would not recommend this, especially when you are not around to keep watch. Take it from someone whose cat ate half a laundry bag cord. Three nights in the pet hospital and a $2000 vet bill later, I learned the hard way some cats eat string-like things.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't recall seeing a comment about this, my apologies if there was, would you consider harness/leash training her to get her brain loosened up and working on outside smells and sights that are entirely different? Or a second cat or puppy?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a string-on-a-stick toy that we leave laying around, BUT it's a very thick and sturdy string commonly called tie-line in the stagehand industry.

Momma Teaka has recently become obsessed with it. She will drag it to us, wherever we may be, and cry for playtime. I get her going with it for a few minutes and then toss it into the other room. She will chase it down, pick it up and drag it back for more. It's very cute... for a while. Then, if I refuse to play, it's like a kid.... woe! woe! woe! armageddon! I just look at her and say, "No, that's enough for now," give her loves and then ignore. Eventually she settles (or sulks).

I would say, if your kitty is trying her Jedi mind trick, maybe give her some lovin's and ignore the toy for a while. That way she begins to understand that there is more to life than a wiggly string (*hand wave* "this is not the string you're looking for"). lol

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
When two people say the same thing at the same time. It's a thing from childhood. If one of them says Jinx! the other can't speak again until their name is said. At least that's how it worked in NY while I was growing up.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can get battery cat toys that spin around and around.......my wife got one for our boys. You could tie a string to it and let it do the work...just dont leave the cat alone with it as they can chew and swallow the string.

You could also buy a used defective "roomba" vacum cleaner. You only need it to move around the room, you dont need it to actually vacumn. You can securely fasten a string to it and let it go. It will bump into walls and move around the room without you having to do anything.............just watch the cat doesnt swallow the string. In canada i have seen non vacumning roombas selling for as little as $40..............this would be an industrial quality cat toy.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
When two people say the same thing at the same time. It's a thing from childhood. If one of them says Jinx! the other can't speak again until their name is said. At least that's how it worked in NY while I was growing up.
lol
For us it was, "Jinx! You owe me a coke!"

A "jinx" is considered bad luck unless you break it with something, hence the name/coke "penalty".