cat stares too long while playing

uniqms95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, so my kitten used to jus chase the toy around wherever it moves like any others cat. She would keep running to the point of panting and laying on he floor to rest!! Then as she got older (11 months old now) she doesn't chase it like crazy, instead, she waits and stares at the moving toy for upto 10 mins, planning her attack, then pouncing at the right moment. She needs it to be a certain distance from her and moving slowly for her to finally jump and chase it! If it moves past a certain distance, she just stares some more. But when she actually chases it, it's only for like 30 seconds before she goes back to hiding and observing the toy. This isn't really a problem but for her to play for 30 seconds, I have to sit there moving the toy for 10 mins!!! Which ends up making her playtime exemley short and she doesn't seem to be satisfied. Tried da bird, lasers and every toy available! Anyone's cat acts the same? It's not that she doesn't want to play anymore, she does! She just stares at the toy too long before playing

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is practising her hunting skills (stalking and pouncing). This is all completely normal. She has just taken on a more adult behaviour. When cats are kittens they are fascinated by anything that moves and run around like little crazy things.
One of mine takes a while to get going too and what I've found that will make her run around is a good old fashioned piece of string. She especially likes it when I'm walking round the house pulling the string along behind me.
Just mix her toys up a bit, you might find something as simple as a screwed up piece of paper flicked across the room or a drinking straw wiggled in front of her will really get her going.
Good luck!