Cat Stalking Other Cat, Not Letting Him Leave Kitchen--help

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can someone please provide some clarity as it pertains to my inquiry?

One cat is bullying the other cat and is not letting him leave our kitchen. Whenever the kitchen cat tries to walk out into the living room the other one chases him back into the kitchen then stalks/stares at him. This isn't a healthy living environment, can someone PLEASE try giving us some insight?

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
How long has this been happening? Have you just introduced the kitchen cat? Is the other cat new to the house?

It sounds like the one cat is just being nasty, and wants the rest of the house all to himself. I would seperate both cats and then gently reintroduce them. Make sure both have their own litterbox, feeding stations, bed and source of entertainment.

Keep in mind that growling is offensive, hissing is defensive and screeching/screaming is totally offensive.

What are their genders, personalities and ages? One territorial, older tom plus one shy, young tom can result in bullying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Merlin77 Merlin77 Got the new "bully" cat about 7 months ago and he was attacked a lot by an old cat who no longer lives with us. The last two months he has been able to come out at night and during the days he was locked up in our bedroom.

Now he can roam whenever he wants for the last few weeks and LOVES it. Super affectionate and amazing cat. He's been very territorial towards our other cat who is very shy/passive and stalks him into the kitchen.

When the bully cat is put away at night the shy cat comes out and about but is still hesitant that he may be ambushed.

Here's the problem with re-introducing, we had the bully cat in our bedroom for about five months while the old cat was terrorizing him so the thought of putting him back in there and closing the door now that he has all this free room is frustrating.

They are both 3 year old males. There is hissing by the shy cat who is now being bullied after the bully cat stalks him/rushes him.

Any tips would be great.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the 'bully' cat might be a little unnerved after being attacked by the old cat, along with the stress of moving to your house. It would help to familiarize the two cats with each other... I find cats are most willing to be around other cats when they are sleepy and relaxed (around lunchtime after eating would be ideal).

Some tips would be to make sure they don't eat in each other's presence, and to spend equal time with them.

There's a great book, I'll see if I can track down the title, that goes over how to get two cats to get along... best advice I've ever heard in that book.

Well I'm off to find the book!

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Here it is!

IMG_9092.jpg

It is written by Anitra Frazier and I am sure you could find it at a library or bookstore. There are lots of awesome tips and little home remedies for stuff like ear mites.