Cat squalling all night after move

toby4448

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We moved Friday, about a half mile from where we lived before.  We have Toby, who was an indoor/outdoor cat at the old house (we have a dog, and had a doggie door so he came and went as he pleased).  Toby had also befriended a ferel kitten/cat about 3 months ago and they play often - but the ferel cat was so skittish we never could get close to it to bring it in.  But I think the two of them spent a lot of time together.

The new house does not have a doggie door - and we had planned on converting Toby to an indoor cat hopefully - but more or less he is locked inside because I think he will go straight back to our old house if he is let out.

Toby is completely fine during the day at the new house, he is fine in the evenings when we are all hanging out.  But come about 1 am, Toby is a wailing, crying, looking out window, running from room to room MESS. And this goes on till about 5 am.  

It is awful and I really don't know what to do.  He sounds like a heart broken teenage girl howling/crying/squalling.  He is fine if you touch him for about 2 minutes and then he just goes back to running around crying.

I realize its only been 4 nights but it almost seems like its getting worse.

Is this normal? does it eventually stop? how long does it usually go on?? I have even thought of trying to trap the ferel kitten and bring it in - but I'm afraid that may be more harm than good because the kitten is probably about 8 months old by now and VERY skittish - like he runs when he sees you in the window skittish.  And we have a chocolate lab, so it would be an ultra huge adjustment for the ferel cat. 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.    All I really know to do is buy some high quality ear plugs and wait it out.

I considered maybe adopting a kitten to help him by maybe giving him a new buddy - but I don't want to add more issues if it works in reverse.   

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Toby4448 and welcome to TCS!

Toby probably misses the great outdoors, but I think you're very wise to choose to keep him in.  Trouble is he was allowed out in the 'cat hours' and he's missing it.  I think it's a case of perseverance and giving him lots of attention and games to wear him out.  You could also try some pheromones to help settle him (like a feliway diffuser).

How feral is the feral cat?  Do you know anything else about him?  There are some people on this site who know a lot about trapping and settling strays and ferals, if it's something you'd be prepared to do.