Cat spraying

yekrats

What a Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful World
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'll make this as short as I can. About 3 months ago we adopted two cats from our grandkids father. Tubbs (Male, spayed Orange Tabby) and Patches. (Ummm, Female neutered Patchwork Kitty?)

20221023_103124.jpg

Our grandkids father adopted and kept them for his grandkids about 5ish years ago. The story is Tubbs the orange tabby was about 2 years old and Patches the patchwork Kitty was a kitten they got them and they have lived together ever since then. Then their dad got remarried and brought his new wife and her children into the new home with the cats. The story is that the little boy was mean to the cats and finally Patches (Not Tubby) sprayed on his bed so his mother said the cats have to go. So, about 3 months ago our grandkids kind of came to us pleading, Oh please, Oh please take our kitties!?! Well... it's not like we could say no. Anywho, we love the kitties, they love us and each other. Zooming together, playing together, eating together, (they have their own bowls and water dishes) they're pretty much inseparable. They both eat the same high quality dry food they've had for the last five + years and drink plenty of fresh water. We have two Cat boxes which we clean every other day and both cats pee and poop well. Nothing unusual poop wise in the Cat boxes and no bad urine odor.
Lately though, Tubbs the male Kitty has started spraying on the carpet in a couple of corners in our lower living room. We have both seen him doing it in the corners. They are both very healthy but to be sure we're taking Tubbs to the vet on the 28th for a check up. Oh, they're indoor kitties. Always have been.
Okay, house background. We bought our home about 12 years ago and the previous owners had a dog which was kept strictly Outdoors or so we're told. Now Tubbs only sprays on the carpet in two corners downstairs so we thought, must be something (Dog whiz?) in those corners he doesn't like so we got it super cleaned with enzymes and everything. Was okay for a few days afterwards but he's started it again. Now it could be that the odor is still there so if the vet gives him a clean bill of health I'm going to rent a carpet cleaner myself, get some of that enzyme stuff and just flood the carpet in the corners. Then keep my fingers crossed. But if anybody has some good ideas/suggestions I would sure appreciate you chiming in.
Thanks in advance! 🙂

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
we're taking Tubbs to the vet on the 28th for a check up.
HI! This and the extra cleaning you're doing are the exact right things to do.

Something I'd also try is canned food. It often provides more moisture than kibble plus water, and can also be helpful in maintaining weight as cats age and can become less active (although increased playtime and exercise can help with this, and nearly everything as with humans :) )

Also, if as I'm hoping he comes back from his vet visit with a clean bill of health, it may be that he's detecting another animal outside your living quarters. For this, you may want to consider a calming product. Many people utilize feliway or Comfort Zone plugins which are expensive and don't always do the job and can sometimes backfire and make things worse, so if you can find treats, sprays, even a collar .. ..

Speaking of, since they're indoor cats and I assume they're chipped, do you need those humongous collar things on them? I'm assuming those are gps tracker collars? Do you have a backyard you let them out in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yekrats

Adult Cat
Purraise
HI! This and the extra cleaning you're doing are the exact right things to do.

Something I'd also try is canned food. It often provides more moisture than kibble plus water, and can also be helpful in maintaining weight as cats age and can become less active (although increased playtime and exercise can help with this, and nearly everything as with humans :) )

Also, if as I'm hoping he comes back from his vet visit with a clean bill of health, it may be that he's detecting another animal outside your living quarters. For this, you may want to consider a calming product. Many people utilize feliway or Comfort Zone plugins which are expensive and don't always do the job and can sometimes backfire and make things worse, so if you can find treats, sprays, even a collar .. ..

Speaking of, since they're indoor cats and I assume they're chipped, do you need those humongous collar things on them? I'm assuming those are gps tracker collars? Do you have a backyard you let them out in?
Thanks Furballsmom for your reply. Yeah, both cats came with those humongous collars. They don't seem to mind so I guess we just figured, whatever.
No, no GPS trackers or chips and no, we never let them outside. They've always been indoor kitties. No wait, I think they did let Tubbs outside occasionally but not Patches. Yes, we've got feliway plugins upstairs and downstairs both. You're right, they're expensive!
As to trying canned food, Tubbs has plenty of weight on him and patches, who was kind of skinny when we got her (stress from her old home I think) has picked up a pound or two so I guess that means she's happier with us. However, one thing I didn't mention is Tubbs barfing up his food up every so often. Another good reason to take him to the vet. Maybe he needs a diet change.
Now about detecting another animal outside the house. I've heard of that but figured he's sniffing both those spots and making unhappy noises so I just kind of figured there's something in the carpet. I could be wrong though. Thanks again 🙂

yekrats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet update: The vet thinks it's anxiety causing him to spray and also said he has really bad gums and might even need to have some teeth pulled. Gum problems and bad teeth, I can see where that would cause anxiety. Poor guy. I'll pick him up later today and see what the final verdict is. I have to take him back to get his mouth taken care of.

yekrats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, we have been to the vet and the good news is he absolutely loves Tubbs. Not surprising, he's very lovable. Some of his recommendations were to get a third Kitty litter tray and find out what the old cat litter was that he was used to from before because maybe he just doesn't like his new cat litter. Could be so we found what the old litter was and got another tray. Well good and fine. Bad news is that Tubbs would have absolutely not let the vet get blood or urine samples. He's a big cat, 15 lbs so if he doesn't want to you're not going to make him. At least not easily. So we get to go back tomorrow and if he still won't cooperate he'll have to put him under to do the tests. Note to Tubbs: You're getting expensive! That's okay, he's worth it. So here's my next question . One of the possibilities for Tubbs spraying is anxiety and one of the possible treatments are tranquilizers. Some of which are Fluoxetine, Buspar, Amitriptyline, Valium. Does anyone have any experience with your cat and these? Do you have any recommendations? The paperwork the vet gave me says the first choice/ most effective is Fluoxetine. Never heard of it but okay. On another note, he gave Tubbs some Gabapentin to calm him down yesterday, which it did but not enough to let him do the tests. When he came home I would classify him as happily stoned. You know, dilated pupils and a smile on his face.
Thanks in advance! 🙂

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
one of the possible treatments are tranquilizers.
Gum problems and bad teeth, I can see where that would cause anxiety.
I personally would try every single other avenue of options, a third litterbox which you did, cleaning the carpet (as you have been), getting the results back, and having his mouth taken care of. These things require a little time to take effect.

We have two Cat boxes which we clean every other day and both cats pee and poop well.
Also, if you haven't already started doing so, you need to clean those boxes daily, all three of them.

He was in the house for some time before he started marking. This is not a reaction to dog pee. I would focus on clean litterboxes, taking care of his dental issues, and also finding out what is going on outside your house, with cameras so that you can see what's happening, or just walk around the house and look for cat spray on the lower walls particularly on the side of the house spatially related to where Tubbs is marking, but really, anywhere.

Oh, by the way, have you removed those collars? Are the cats microchipped with your up to date information? -- talk to the vet, they can scan for a chip and possibly can determine/advise which company you'd want to update your information with.

I apologize if I missed it, but have you considered feeding canned food?

Last edited:

yekrats

Adult Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with you about the tranquilizers. It's kind of a last resort. We are now cleaning all three Kitty trays everyday. Our vet said since there's no obvious reason why he's spraying (unless blood and urine tests say something.) this is going to be a process of elimination to get to the bottom of it. Start with getting a third Kitty tray and put the old Kitty litter he's used to in it. Then watch and see if that helps. As far as outside animals go, there is a black cat that's been running around for years. I off times see him mousing in our yard. Had to shew him out of our garage once. Maybe that's something, maybe it's not.
Yes, we have taken the collar off of Tubbs. Patches soon to follow. I don't believe either of the cats have chips but it's on the list of things to check/do. And we thought about canned food but are waiting to see what the vet says tomorrow. 🙂

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
it's a bit of a laundry list, no doubt, but hang in there! Check the outside of the house, Tubbs arrival may be/probably is causing that outside black cat to spray your house because as far as the black cat is concerned, Tubbs is invading his territory.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry for the double post. Do you have a TNR group in your area? If that black cat doesn't have one tipped ear, he's intact which makes him even more intent to mark his territory outside against Tubbs. You will want to contact them (trap/neuter/release) asap.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I won't lie, I didn't read all the replies but thought I'd pipe up here because I've had some experience with pissy kitties.
First off touching the anxiety. I can't tell you what to do, but there is no way in hell I'd first try with pharmaceutical drugs. That's just me personally. I was told to research cbd tincture especially made for cats, and after a month of research approached my vet about it. Her father suffers from the same type of Cancer my cat has. She told me cbd has greatly improved his life. I started her on it, and within 2weeks life for my baby had totally changed. My sweet gal used to pretty much live in the laundry room. We'd made her up a cozy place in there since she never seemed to want to leave it much. It's a big enough room with a cat tower and beds. Litter box, good water and toys. She was at the time, 15 I think? I do rescue and have 9 others. 11 at the time. And have young ones too. After 2 weeks on Ellevet cbd for cats, she was a different cat. I did not realize it, but apparently she was suffering from anxiety from the young cats. After about 2 weeks taking it twice a day? She suddenly started walking out! Through the kitchen and into the living room. She suddenly wanted to be out with the family. She even jumped onto the couch! We adopted her from the shelter as 10 and shed been front declawed by previous owners. She'd never once before jumped up on the couch. She remained the while day and night out with us. So I know from experience it works to help with anxiety in cats.
It also will help for inflammation, nausea, aches & pains, and helps improve appetite.
Cbd is a natural plant derivative. There's no drugs like an Rx. And no thc in pet cbd. So no 'high'.
If the peeing continues, have you tried putting litter boxes where he pees? If not, might be worth a try.
I have to admit though, sometimes they just need their own space. I have 3 cats that had to be separated from the others because of this. They'd each pee out with the rest of the cats. But once in their own, no more peeing problems. It's not the most ideal thing. But I have enough spare rooms to do this. One of the 3, I just moved to my bedroom area. It's big place and she stays with 3 others. But she also doesn't pee anymore.
Is definitely look into the cbd though. It could help him without drugs.

yekrats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the double post. Do you have a TNR group in your area? If that black cat doesn't have one tipped ear, he's intact which makes him even more intent to mark his territory outside against Tubbs. You will want to contact them (trap/neuter/release) asap.
Sorry it took so long to reply. Got a gazillion things going on.
Sorry it took so long to reply, a gazillion things going on. With everything that's been happening, (snow, freezing rain, cats in and out of the vet,) I haven't been able to get out and check for markings yet. Not sure I'd see anything anyway with all the rain and snow that's been happening but anyway... I'm not sure that black has a stray. He's got a collar so I guess he belongs to someone. I don't suppose it matters if he's a stray or not, he might still think this is all his territory so I'll keep that in mind.

The next post after yours by tyleete is quite interesting. Using CBD instead of drugs sounds like a much better idea.
Without going back and rereading all my posts I'm not sure exactly what information I've left here so I'll just start at our last visit to the vet.
We took Tubbs to the vet who found he had really inflamed gums from gingivitis and needed his teeth cleaned. We had him take care of that. The vet took blood and urine samples and they came back perfectly normal. There was a tiny bit of blood in his urine but the vet thought that was from him being anxious and nothing to worry about. The vet sent him home with a week's supply of buprenorphine, mostly to see if it would relieve his anxious behavior and we have had no trouble since so apparently it has. So I guess that means he's going to need something. That being said, if he has to have something I really like the idea of CBD. It's natural and I don't believe it can hurt him. I suppose I'll run it by the vet to see what he thinks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks so much for the catching up update :)

He's got a collar so I guess he belongs to someone.
He may not be neutered, so you're right to remain alert to that. About two weeks after we lost Poppycat the end of October, we had a stray cat become bolder and it started to come up on the deck to spray the siding of the house. This went on for another couple of weeks but then the weather turned nasty and there's been nothing since.

yekrats

Adult Cat
Purraise
RIP Poppycat.
Yeah who knows if he's neutered. It's drying up here now so I'm going to get out there with the black light and check it out. Guess I'll do it every so often to make sure the place is still clean.

yekrats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I won't lie, I didn't read all the replies but thought I'd pipe up here because I've had some experience with pissy kitties.
First off touching the anxiety. I can't tell you what to do, but there is no way in hell I'd first try with pharmaceutical drugs. That's just me personally. I was told to research cbd tincture especially made for cats, and after a month of research approached my vet about it. Her father suffers from the same type of Cancer my cat has. She told me cbd has greatly improved his life. I started her on it, and within 2weeks life for my baby had totally changed. My sweet gal used to pretty much live in the laundry room. We'd made her up a cozy place in there since she never seemed to want to leave it much. It's a big enough room with a cat tower and beds. Litter box, good water and toys. She was at the time, 15 I think? I do rescue and have 9 others. 11 at the time. And have young ones too. After 2 weeks on Ellevet cbd for cats, she was a different cat. I did not realize it, but apparently she was suffering from anxiety from the young cats. After about 2 weeks taking it twice a day? She suddenly started walking out! Through the kitchen and into the living room. She suddenly wanted to be out with the family. She even jumped onto the couch! We adopted her from the shelter as 10 and shed been front declawed by previous owners. She'd never once before jumped up on the couch. She remained the while day and night out with us. So I know from experience it works to help with anxiety in cats.
It also will help for inflammation, nausea, aches & pains, and helps improve appetite.
Cbd is a natural plant derivative. There's no drugs like an Rx. And no thc in pet cbd. So no 'high'.
If the peeing continues, have you tried putting litter boxes where he pees? If not, might be worth a try.
I have to admit though, sometimes they just need their own space. I have 3 cats that had to be separated from the others because of this. They'd each pee out with the rest of the cats. But once in their own, no more peeing problems. It's not the most ideal thing. But I have enough spare rooms to do this. One of the 3, I just moved to my bedroom area. It's big place and she stays with 3 others. But she also doesn't pee anymore.
Is definitely look into the cbd though. It could help him without drugs.
Thank you so much for your advice. The vet gave us some prescription stuff to see if he would stop spraying while taking it, which he has so I guess that means we have to do something for him. I don't want to use Pharmaceuticals either so I'm definitely going to look into Ellevet CBD for cats. I agree with you, all natural with no side effects is a much better option.
Thanks 🙂

yekrats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Tubbs has been off the buprenophrine for a couple of days now and so far there's been no spraying. So, I guess the Vets idea of giving him a little buprenophrine so as to calm his mind down long enough for him to break his anxious cycle worked.
Keeping our fingers crossed. 🤞🤞

yekrats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Still looking good. By golly, I think he's cured!!! 😸