Cat Spraying

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 6yr old cat, neutered, and very neurotic. He will stop spraying and then start back up. Last time he did it for 4 months then stopped. I have 2 litterboxes where he used to pee but now he is just spraying 2 ft away from the boxes in a new spot.
There are over 6 litterboxes in house with lids, no lids, and different sizes.
He sprays in the existing ones still, but I cant have him start up agian because the carpet is ruined and discolored and I cant keep cleaning.
He is neurotic and when he cant go outaide because its raining, i come home late, etc, he sprays.
Would meds work at this point because Ive already done more litterboxes and i cant line all the walls with boxes.
Hes about to be an outdoor cat, honestly.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't know, but maybe... have you had a chance to talk with your vet?
Also, there's an Enzymatic cleaner called the Equalizer that doesn't require soaking, which could help.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll second trying an enzymatic cleaner, so that your cat won't smell his previous misdeeds so to speak. Some people also have luck with feliway, since it can calm cats and make them feel less territorial.

As to medication, I've read that SSRIs sometiems help with inappropriate urination in cats, and it can help with anxiety, so it might be worth talking to your vet to see what they think. you might also have your vet check for urinary issues while you're at it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something is making him so nervous. Some change in his life he can't handle. I would ask the vet and then try some calming treats they sell on Amazon and see if that would help. Definitely try some different litters in the boxes too, he may not like the ones you have, have at least 3 different kinds.
I have had cats exist for years outside with a insulated cat house and a electric warming mat, because that is truly where they wanted to be. My feral Russell is now 11 and has spent his whole life outside. An enclosure would be perfect if it could be managed, maybe even one of those larger chicken coops, it would definitely be more safe.
Be prepared for heartache if he does stay outside, eventually a car or a predator is a real possibility. I have so many little graves on my property.....only you can make that decision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I already use an enzyme cleaner and another industrial cleaner and he will pee over it. That's why the carpet is discolored because Ive cleaned the same spots so much.
I live in the country so there are coyotes and all kinds of things so I really dont want to leave him out all the time.
I will ask the vet to see what I can do. That seems like the best option now.
Nothing has changed in the house, but as he has gotten older he started to spray and did it more often. He just gets stressed by little things and sprays.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, he sounds a lot like my Hiro! He's an indoor cat with access to an enclosure. He'll be good for weeks and weeks and then suddenly start spraying again. I've worked out that he sprays if he feels threatened by something outside.

If he sees a feral cat or some of the local wildlife comes too close he'll rush back indoors and spray.

Have you tried using a Feliway diffuser? They help to keep cats calm. Or how about adding Zylkene to his food? That can help calm an anxious cat.

It might sound counter-intuitive, but maybe making him an indoor only cat would help reduce his stress and spraying. If he is spraying because he feels threatened by animals outside being indoor only will make him feel safer. (And he will be safer, of course. ;))

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I keep him inside he sprays more, yells, and is angry all the time. I put lavender in a diffuser and everyone seems calmer.
Im taking Ki to the vet to see is its a bladder stone or crystals.

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, he sounds a lot like my Hiro! He's an indoor cat with access to an enclosure. He'll be good for weeks and weeks and then suddenly start spraying again. I've worked out that he sprays if he feels threatened by something outside.

If he sees a feral cat or some of the local wildlife comes too close he'll rush back indoors and spray.

Have you tried using a Feliway diffuser? They help to keep cats calm. Or how about adding Zylkene to his food? That can help calm an anxious cat.

It might sound counter-intuitive, but maybe making him an indoor only cat would help reduce his stress and spraying. If he is spraying because he feels threatened by animals outside being indoor only will make him feel safer. (And he will be safer, of course. ;))
I wish I could afford an enclosure!

Jeffsmith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How did the trip to the vets go?

Is he okay?

Have you noticed any other Cats coming into your area?

It looks like territorial.. When cats get stressed they spray and mark their territory

Have you made any changes to the household? added new furniture?

I had this same problem so know how you feel for sure

Last edited by a moderator:

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How did the trip to the vets go?

Is he okay?

Have you noticed any other Cats coming into your area?

It looks like territorial.. When cats get stressed they spray and mark their territory

Have you made any changes to the household? added new furniture?

I had this same problem so know how you feel for sure

Check this YouTube video out about how to stop Cats from spraying indoors

PS - watch it in x2 speed.. Love his british accent Lol!

Hope this helps and all the best
He had a severe UTI with bacteria so he is on antibitoics.
I live in the country so there are skunks but thats never bothered him before.
No new furniture. The other cats are fine.
Hopefully it was just the UTI