Cat spraying on glass near the floor

kaitie09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 3year old spayed female that has a habit of spraying my fish tank. My tank is close to the ground and she chooses to spray on just that one. I have another tank above that one that she likes to climb on and look at, but she does not spray that one. She also used to spray picture frames that were on the bottom shelf of our bookcase. We solved that by just moving them up. The weird thing is, I have a floor length mirror that she does not touch, so I know it is not the reflections. she also does not touch the picture frames on the end tables or other surfaces.

I'm planning on moving the floor fish tank up this weekend, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea why she chooses those surfaces?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When did she start doing this?  If recently, she may have a UTI.  Watch her when she uses the litter box, and if she seems to be having any problem, get her to the vet ASAP.

Use an enzyme cleaner to do the fish tank, it will take away her reason for re-marking the tank.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaitie09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This has been happening for a couple months. We have had her tested twice and no signs of a UTI, and had bloodwork done which came back with nothing. We clean it with Nature's Miracle and take a black light to it to make sure it is clean. The only thing the vet could think of is anxiety. However, she thought it was weird too that she chooses only those glass surfaces.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I'm wondering if she sees her reflection in the glass and think its another cat? She may be marking her territory

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaitie09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is what I thought, but she only chooses those two surfaces. I have a glass cabinet that reaches the ground and she does not touch that, or my floor length mirrors.