Cat spraying all of a sudden

jvmay1703

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve had my cat since 2017 and he’s never used a litter box inside. Always goes out to use the bathroom. A year or so ago I saw him “spray” outside over bushes or other outdoor type things. All of a sudden this week he backed up to my fireplace inside and of course I knew what it looked like he was getting ready to do so I screamed and went after him and put him out. A few days later he did the same thing on a bag cooler. Now this morning he did it on a charcoal bag we had in our utility room. All random rooms. I have no other cats or dogs. Nothing has changed other than he lately has cried a lot for food and then eats a little and goes back out (which is pretty normal for him). What could be going on here? Thank you.

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be a lot of things. Is he neutered? The first things that come to my mind are new cats in the area and he feels he needs to mark his home or he is having a urinary issue that needs to be determined by a vet. I have a neutered boy with past urinary issues and spraying out of nowhere (he always uses the box no problem) was an early sign he was telling me something was wrong. Also going to add that he might not be crying for food, he might be crying to signal he’s in pain or having an issue. Your best bet would be to see a vet to determine whether it’s a behavioral issue or a medical issue. From there you can be able to diagnose and treat or try to correct the behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jvmay1703

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the suggestion. Yes I forgot to add he’s neutered. Has been since the week I got him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Outside animals might have started this, and he is bringing to the inside his reaction/opposition to them. I say this because he started spraying your bushes.

But that does not mean that it hasn't brought on stress that has evolved into a urinary tract issue. How old is he? Regardless, the first thing to check out is a urinary tract issue. The second thing to check out is what is going on outside with other animals that might be the source of the problem.

Worst case scenario, don't let him outside anymore - or at least offer him a litter box full of his normal outside environment (soil, leaves, etc.) should he choose to use that instead of other 'available' things inside. If you can collect some of his poop (and pee) from outside and place it in this litter box, it might let him accept this 'indoor potty'.