Cat Spontaneously Expressing Anal Sac While Snuggling

allierenee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My cat was snuggling on my chest earlier today and when she got up I noticed she had secreted about an inch wide circle of foul smelling and brownish liquid onto me. She has done this once before on our couch about a month or two ago, and both times she and her brother would not stop licking the area and her anal area. I wiped off the rest of the secretion from her butt, but I haven't been able to find anything online saying whether it is normal for cats to spontaneously express their anal sac while happy and snuggling (only explanation I have found is the cat being startled). It is the weekend so our vet is closed, but I just want to make sure there is no urgent issue! She is a very healthy kitty and is showing no unusual behaviors, and her anal area is not inflamed or red.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is almost certainly not an emergency situation, but I'll bet her glands are pretty impacted! Do take her in for a good "dust and clean" early next week. You can be trained to do this yourself at home, it isn't that difficult, but (as you so well know) it is remarkably unpleasant and nasty...that said, not nearly so unpleasant and nasty as having it happen spontaneously on your clothing or furniture!

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat "drips" a little from her anal sacs when I brush the back of her hind legs. She looooooves being brushed so much that I always associated it with happiness too!! Of course, I now avoid brushing the rump/behind area so that I don't get the drips. She has no anal gland problems that I can tell--clean bill of health at the vet a couple of weeks ago, regular BMs, no scooting or excessive cleaning.

She also gets a bit of a drippy nose when she's really happy too.

here's an online article that says it happens: Anal Glands and Happy Cats - Cats Herd You

And a old thread on this site that sounds like we arent the only ones:
Excitable Anal Gland Expression?