Cat Spitting Up/Mini-Throw Ups

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heya,

So this is in regards to my mother's cat. It's a Himalayan cat, ~ 7 years old... weighs ~ 7 pounds - always weighed that much.

His diet:
Available Kibble - Prescription Hills Diet Urinary
PM Meal: Fancy Feast Elegant Medley (wet food) <--- only wet food he will eat.... apparently he's super picky (hence his weight)

I tried sending my mother grain free cat food - but he refuses to eat it!!

Anyway according to my mom - his bowel movements are fine, he plays fine, still gifts her all his toys (he's adorable)... but 2 things have recently changed in a week

1- He sits next to her (usual) but meows a lot more than usual
2- Noticed him spitting up???

See images - it's more foamy than anything... then dries into a solid brown-ish substance (which can resemble all his food... obviously I worry about blood b/c that can look that way). No hairballs. She said this was around the time she attempted to feed him the grain free food (which he refused mostly - but still ate some).

Any ideas what is going on? I think it might be food sensitivity, dyspepsia or GI discomfort... but that's just MY opinion. I'm considering sending her some probiotics like Jackson Galaxy Cat Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes.

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated!!

Attachments

Last edited:

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If this came with a change in food, then it could have been the new food that caused it. I would go back to the food he was eating before and not doing this and see if it stops. Also, a checkup by a vet wouldn't hurt anything just to rule out other issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's what I told my mother - so she stopped the grain free food 2 days ago - but he is still spitting up - I'm not sure how many days out = alarm. The only issue with a vet check up is... their appointments are VERY far out (Canada - still behind us) at least 2 weeks out. So the mean time we're trying to figure out what can be done.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be acid reflux related, you could try giving 1/4 of a tablet of pepcid (famotidine) and see if that helps at all. Sometimes vomiting itself can make the stomach inflamed and irritated which leads to more vomiting. Controlling the acid a bit with an acid blocker like pepcid can help the stomach calm down and heal.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's what I told my mother - so she stopped the grain free food 2 days ago - but he is still spitting up - I'm not sure how many days out = alarm. The only issue with a vet check up is... their appointments are VERY far out (Canada - still behind us) at least 2 weeks out. So the mean time we're trying to figure out what can be done.
Is certain times of day? After or before eating? If it's during the day stop leaving dry out. Brush him every day and give laxitone. If he throws up morning before eating use a food timer late night for wet. Sitting close to her and meowing could meen he's in pain. If the litter box has tops remove them so she can tell more if there is a medical problem.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet can give you something besides pepcid though some vets think it's OK. . It is not the same strength as humans. Much much easier on their tummy. 10ml I think don't remember so ask. Keep note of when he throws up,does he throw up spit and fur,food,or just water? How many times a day and how many days a week?

Last edited:

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many meals does he get throughout the day? It looks like bile that my cat would sometimes vomit when going too long between meals. She now gets 4 wet meals a day and a 2 a.m. kibble snack. Maybe the cat is protesting new kibble and getting an upset acidic stomach bc it's empty? I would recommend trying to feed another couple wet food meals during the day, if possible.