Cat Spay Site

pawsby&meowkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i know there are probably 871 threads like this out there, but my 7 month old kitten just got spayed last monday, so six days ago. she's been recovering fine, was given a 3 day course of onsior tablets as well as liquid pain medication for my baby. she's been acting perfectly fine even since the day after her spay. the problem is...she's obviously an active kitten and it's difficult to keep her from jumping or wanting to play with my older guy (about 1.5 years, the tabby in my icon).

I've been keeping an eye on the site and it looked fine yesterday. however, i took a look this morning, after I was unceremoniously woken up by them playing in the hallway, and saw this (Sorry, my phone isn't letting me upload it normally for some reason, and it's not great quality because she was squirming)

the bottom concerns me as it seems more separated/redder/more raw than it was yesterday. she won't keep a cone on (I've tried both the plastic they gave me at the vet and a softer fabric one and she got them both off in about five seconds). I also tried putting a shirt or onesie on to cover the area but she squirmed out of that as well.

it's Sunday here, of course, so my vet is closed. I think there's an emergency one about half an hour away if it comes to that. the biggest issue is that I have a 12 hour shift from 7am to 7pm tomorrow which is directly DURING vet hours, so I have no idea when I'll be able to get there...

it looks off to me, but I only have a male and his procedure was obviously far less invasive so...I guess I'm looking for advice on if I should get in touch with the emergency vet or wait it out to call tomorrow and see if my vet can just call something in. I'd probably be able to send them the photo, at least. thanks in advance...

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does look like the skin has parted a little but seems to be no swelling or infection. I would keep an eye on it for today to see if it is bothering her. At 6 days there should be a fair amount of healing already done plus there is usually internal stitches as well as external stitches or glue. I cant see any stitches so I presume your vet used glue. Look for any pus or swelling but you could also send the photo to your vet for his opinion. Try to keep her from being too active if possible.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like she's been licking it. As long as it's not weeping, an angry red color, or swollen I think you're good.