Cat Spay Healing Properly?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are amazing in the way they can hide pain! my little girl ran and played, ate, all the normal kitten things when she was so sick. I hope just bruising, don't think i ever saw that much on a spay, neither one of my girls had any bruising that i could see? but the fairly large lump comment kind of worries me.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This was Rockets spay, no discoloration or anything. The bright pink in the middle was her sutures.

I had a female that did have bruising from a spay clinic though. Which may be why I lean that way. That spay was not a smooth healing or pretty one. She had a rigid jagged scar about 8 inches long and a ton of bruising. Looking back I am surprised she didn't have an infection but she did have digestive issues that started right after the spay. That was why I had Rockets done at a surgical center with every bell and whistle they had.

Which isn't to say clinic are bad. My boys were neutered at clinics. I completely understand their place in the world and don't fault anyone for using them. Just sometimes they can be a little rougher then we may prefer because they are trying to get them done quickly. I completely missed the mention of a lump but that could be bruising.... I am probably just optimistically thinking.

Hopefully all goes good with the vet, please do let us know. :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This was Rockets spay, no discoloration or anything. The bright pink in the middle was her sutures.

I had a female that did have bruising from a spay clinic though. Which may be why I lean that way. That spay was not a smooth healing or pretty one. She had a rigid jagged scar about 8 inches long and a ton of bruising. Looking back I am surprised she didn't have an infection but she did have digestive issues that started right after the spay. That was why I had Rockets done at a surgical center with every bell and whistle they had.

Which isn't to say clinic are bad. My boys were neutered at clinics. I completely understand their place in the world and don't fault anyone for using them. Just sometimes they can be a little rougher then we may prefer because they are trying to get them done quickly. I completely missed the mention of a lump but that could be bruising.... I am probably just optimistically thinking.

Hopefully all goes good with the vet, please do let us know. :vibes:
Thank all of you guys so much!!! The support means a lot!! I hope she's not suffering too much. I took her to the low cost spay and neuter clinic because they also offer discounts on barn cats or feral cats. Her sister is scheduled for April 24th so I'll be sure to use a cone for her.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hope everying is OK with the vet appointment and they are able to reassure you when they look at the wound - it does look very bruised and the wounds more open then I would expect at this stage. Hopefully it is just bruising coming out from the surgery - as others have said, it is so hard to tell with cats because of how they hide pain.
Please do let us know how the appointment goes.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank all of you guys so much!!! The support means a lot!! I hope she's not suffering too much. I took her to the low cost spay and neuter clinic because they also offer discounts on barn cats or feral cats. Her sister is scheduled for April 24th so I'll be sure to use a cone for her.
Programs like that are great. I wish my area had something for ferals so that it wasn't the same cost. But the best I can find is still too expensive to be able to really encourage people to spay/neuter ferals. The neighboring city does two free feral spay/neuters per person per month. That would be nice.

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Programs like that are great. I wish my area had something for ferals so that it wasn't the same cost. But the best I can find is still too expensive to be able to really encourage people to spay/neuter ferals. The neighboring city does two free feral spay/neuters per person per month. That would be nice.
Hey guys, so I went out to the barn to check on her today and if you ask me I think it looks a little bit better. I'll attach the picture from yesterday and the one of today so you don't have to go back to page one!

Attachments

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The color does look a lot better. That lump though is concerning. I’d keep the appointment just to be safe. Worst case, the vet says everything is good and maybe gives a preventative antibiotic.
So are you leaning more towards bruising then? I'm really hoping that's all it is!!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The discoloration seems to have been bruising since it is fading. The bump though concerns me more since it seems more pronounced today. I don't see any weeping and the incision itself looks fairly good (I am guessing the green spot is a tattoo to indicate spayed, my local clinic does that too). I'd still feel a lot better if a vet looked at the bump. Something like that is more of a touch and feel to really know whats going on.

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The discoloration seems to have been bruising since it is fading. The bump though concerns me more since it seems more pronounced today. I don't see any weeping and the incision itself looks fairly good (I am guessing the green spot is a tattoo to indicate spayed, my local clinic does that too). I'd still feel a lot better if a vet looked at the bump. Something like that is more of a touch and feel to really know whats going on.
I've read stuff about suture reactions. Do you think that is what it could be?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like they did internal sutures and surgical glue. It could just be a reaction to those. It would make sense since she was so, I think, bruised. A vet would be able to tell for sure.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I agee, the bruising does look better but the wound is still very raised. It would be a lot safer to let the vet take a good look.

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! Wanted to give a quick update! So we took her to the vet today and he said everything seems normal! He also said that because she's a barn cat and has probably been exercising more than what he would like to see the bruising isn't totally abnormal, and she has been jumping up into the hayloft and playing with her sister. He said the bump is just from the stitches inside and should heal within a couple of weeks! Man can I sleep well tonight now!! Thanks again for all your support :)