Cat sounds congested

wvcatguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a vet appointment scheduled but am still worried. I’ve told my story before. My mother fed some stray cats but I lost her in 2021. I was determined to care for the cats she loved so dearly. I caught everyone and within a month, everyone had adjusted. No issues so far other than one had bad teeth. It lived outside so I wasn’t familiar with it. She’s taken care of but now there’s a new issue.
Long Tail is the large black cat in the picture below. A few days ago I noticed she sounded congested. Not bad and not constantly. Today I came home and her breathing sounds bad. Almost a wheezing. I saw her open her mouth to breathe at one point. She doesn’t cough or sneeze. I seem to remember my mother mentioning she heard her breathing heavy once. Maybe it’s allergies? Her nose isn’t runny at all & visually she seems fine. This is the most I’ve been around her so I’m not sure what she’s like. Maybe being inside isn’t good for her? She is overweight. Probably over 25 lbs. I just want to make her feel better. My mother loved this cat & she great to be around.
Is there anything I should do? Steam from a shower? Thank you!

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well you've got the first bit of scheduling an appointment down so that's great! Can't wait to hear what the vet thinks.

You could try sitting in a steamy room which will help if it's mucus.

If it's a blade of grass or something, then that wouldn't help much.

HEPA filters for your vaccum and an air purifier may help if it's allergies/athsma.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wvcatguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have an air purifier I’m going to turn on tonight. This was so sudden. She was fine over the weekend. Thank you.