Cat sounds congested in nose. Please help.

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

My sweet 11 month old kitten, Oreo, started making strange sounds when breathing on Saturday night. At first I thought she was purring louder than normal. I became concerned and kept an eye on her for an hour and it stopped. At 4am on Sunday she was making those sounds again but very loudly. It sounds like popping or sniffling. I’m not sure. The video below is her doing it again a few minutes ago.

I took her straight the ER vet at 5am on Sunday. They had her in the back for an hour doing her exam. The vet then came out and told me she was a perfectly healthy kitten and that she heard nothing in her breathing. I asked her if she was sure because I had literally just heard her making those sounds the whole drive over there and the night before. She said her lungs were clear and that her breathing sounded completely normal. I asked her to please go ahead and do the x-rays anyway. At this point I started feeling like I was losing my mind and had maybe panicked or something.

They took x-rays and the vet said she didn’t see anything on the x-rays to be concerned about everything looked normal and she sent Oreo home. She told me she was sending the x-rays off to a radiologist and when the radiologist got back to her with the report she would call me if there was anything notable in the report. She also said that maybe Oreo had the sniffles from an allergy and that I could give her a small dose of Benadryl to help her if I heard that sound again. We came home and for the rest of the day and evening Oreo did not make any of those sounds again. At around 7 PM I got a call from the emergency vet and they also emailed me and the radiologist report and they said that the radiologist noted some inflammation.”Mild unstructured bronchointerstitial pattern” to be exact. She told me the radiologist said it should be self-limiting and go away completely within a few days. I asked her if she felt it was something life-threatening and she said it most definitely was not and that it was the equivalent of having allergies or a very mild cold and then it should go away on its own.

last night I noticed for about 15 minutes Oreo started to have that same sound and her breathing. She also started having it again a little while ago and it’s been going on for about 30 minutes. I am going to take her to her regular vet tomorrow and see what they say. She is acting completely normal, she is eating and drinking normally, and she is just as playful as always. These things help me feel like it is not time to completely freak out but I am curious if anyone out there has heard the sound before and if there is anything I can do at home to help alleviate this. I am worried about giving her Benadryl since I have never given her that before. I am not sure if I should go pick some up at the store and try it or just wait to go to the vet. As I said before, she is not acting like she feels unwell or like breathing even bothers her but I am really worried anyway.

This all started around the same time my daughter developed a very bad cold. She and Oreo are best friends and they cuddle and sleep together. I don’t know if she could have given Oreo her cold but the ER vet said that is not possible. Thank you for reading this and for any replies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
This is one of those situations where having a video is so valuable.

What about Homeopet nose relief? Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
This is one of those situations where having a video is so valuable.

What about Homeopet nose relief? Hang in there!
Thank you for the suggestion and the support. :) I’ll see if I can find that locally. Is it a spray or tincture or something else?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat peaches sometimes got a stuffy nose from colds when she was a kitten. I put her in a room so my other cats could not catch it and a warm bed. It took a couple of weeks. If it happens only occasionally,probably allergies. Her eyes would get watery and open close one eye.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat peaches sometimes got a stuffy nose from colds when she was a kitten. I put her in a room so my other cats could not catch it and a warm bed. It took a couple of weeks. If it happens only occasionally,probably allergies. Her eyes would get watery and open close one eye.
I’ll definitely keep an eye on her. I hope it might be allergies but it seems like it will take me a while to figure out what she could be allergic to. I’m happy your cat recovered from her colds. Thank you for replying. :)