Cat So Sick Week After Tooth Extraction Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sister midnight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Elmo my 15 year old cat needed to have two teeth out that were infected as she could only eat soft pate or jelly from food. She has only eaten bits of soft food since then and she's been really poorly. Now she has a temperature but they don't know where the infection is coming from, she keeps getting antibiotics and painkillers but is getting worse and she really won't eat. I'm in bits thinking she'll end up being put to sleep. Anyone else had similar?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not. Did they do x rays on her mouth, to make sure they got all of the teeth and roots?

I know soft food is often best, but from what i understand some cats will only eat dry food after an extraction. Smaller kibble, they dont need to crunch it, just swallow. If the vet has not specifically said no dry, maybe try some, if she likes it? Getting her to eat is important.

Do keep us updated, i will worry about her. Hopefully they will figure it out and help her feel better soon.:crossfingers:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might ask your vet whether a high calorie gel supplement is okay for Elmo. It might be a way to help her get through this rough spot. cat high calorie gel - Free shipping at Chewy.com

Welcome to The Cat Site! :hithere: You've found the best community of cat lovers on the internet, and we're very glad to have you and Elmo as part of our community, though we wish it were under better circumstances. As duckpond duckpond has said, we would greatly appreciate updates on Elmo; we tend to worry.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sister midnight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm heartbroken to say we came back from the vets as she went down hill and been put to sleep. Beyond heartbroken

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. Many people on TCS memorialize their departed pets in this forum: Crossing the Bridge. You're welcome to post there if you desire, it depends on your personal style of grieving. Also, please see this thread: Grieving. Some people have found it helpful.

Be aware that you're welcome to cry on our shoulders whenever you want; we have a lot of shoulders available, and no one here will ever say something stupid like "It was just a cat" - we know that she was not "just" anything, she was a member of your family.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :alright: :grouphug2:

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sister midnight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you I feel the pain will kill me right now

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you I feel the pain will kill me right now
Yes, it does feel like that at first. Please hang onto the fact that when you do your grief work it does eventually get better.

Right now you're in shock; cut yourself some extra slack for a while. Make lists, so you don't have to rely on your mind to remember mundane things like what you went to the grocery store to get, when all it wants to do is wail. And it may be wise to supplement your B vitamins; they help the body to deal with stress.

And do remember that you are now a valued member of a very supportive community; we'll be here for you the whole time.

Margret

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this.

WE always lock the threads when a cat has passed away, so I'll lock this one now. When you feel ready, please start a thread in our Crossing The Bridge forum in Elmo's memory.

We're very sorry for your loss.

Rest In Peace Elmo.

:angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.