Cat Sniffing Everything.

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have a approximately 7-8 year old domestic shorthair name Scuttles who has been acting funny since a few days before Christmas. I notice a few days before Christmas he was shaking his head every so often and scratching his ear. Along with that every morning when he woke up he would sneeze like 3 or 4 times and then stop. I made him a vet appointment then cancelled it because he seemed to be fine the next day. I've been contemplating taking him in since then because he's been sniffing everything around the house constantly. He doesn't act sick or sneeze or act lethargic, but he walks around outside and in the house sniffing everything. He still sleeps and wakes up sneezing. He eats and drinks water and plays but the only thing strange to me is his excessive sniffing. I thought maybe allergies because its been windy here?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some times an ear infection can make things including food, smell off. Just not the way they are supposed to. Have you sniffed his ears? Do they smell normal? Of course the vet might be able to tell if there is an infection before you can smell it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have smelled and looked a them everything. he scratches under his right ear a lot when he wakes up. I once took him to vet and he said a bug bit him inside the canal it looked like. His main symptom is him sniffing everywhere constantly.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You said a few days before Christmas - did you by any chance put up a real tree in your house? The aroma goes everywhere throughout the house - could he be sniffing the tree fragrance?

I am not sure how that would explain the sneezing, but maybe he has an allergy to the tree? Allergies can be worse the first thing in the morning, right after waking up.

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Naw I had a fake tree :/. I just called and scheduled his appointment again cause I hate to think of him in pain and me not knowing. Im leaning more towards allergies/ some ear issue. Its been very windy here and maybe it caused allergies. the only other thing I can think of is I did get a different litter a month ago...but have changed back to usual litter. the litter was very dusty.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your avatar your boy? With that adorable little squished face he's bound to be more sensitive to dust. Some litters change their formula and become more dusty. Dr. Esley's ultra isn't very dusty, and he has a line of hypoallergenic litter. But you're right to get the word from the vet before you spend money trying to fix what may not even be wrong.

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My avi is my Blanka. The one who is sniffing is scuttle and he is a domestic shorthair with a average cat face. Hes been walking around all day sniffing the house and outside was doing the same

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he goes outside it could be anything. If the pollen is high, or a particular pollen could be that. Vet can prexcribe something to help. Could be a URI. He can get that from something you walked inside on your shoes, outside, he could get it from anyone who has walked where he walks, cats, etc.

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I hope its allergies or a cold. Im nervous because I was reading online about sniffing and a lot of people said its diabetes related?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine with diabetes didn't sniff, but your vet will know. The sooner you see him/her the sooner you can ease your mind.

If it is diabetes, it's treatable and not really that hard to give the insulin as long as you can manage a schedule of every 12 hours. That's easier than it sounds.

I think Wal*mart sells insulin. Does that help?

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I forgot to update

I took scuttle to vet and his right ear was impacted with wax on the drum. He cleared it out and sent me with drops to keep it from happening again and disolve recurring wax. He said its strange only that ear, but he had been bitten by a bug in that ear a few months previous.

He still sniffs not sure why. I think he has allergies.