Cat smells like his saliva

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

When my kitty grooms himself, he smells like his saliva.

He usually grooms himself after meals, so he somehow smells like cat food. (I use Natural Balance wet canned food)

It is not a strong smell, yet I can smell it when I stick my nose very close to him.

Is it normal for a cat saliva to smell? And for the smell to tranform itself to its coat?

Or is my kitty having some issues?

Thank you.

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The smell of saliva all depends on the cat. When a cat grooms itself, it's saliva soaks into the fur, so yes it is normal for him to smell like it. Another reason why it might smell is because of water intake. If a cat doesn't drink much water, it's saliva is more concentrated and because of this it smells more. So if you get your cat to drink more water the saliva might not be as smelly. It smells like the food he ate, because he is basically smearing tiny particles of his food all over himself. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

The smell of saliva all depends on the cat. When a cat grooms itself, it's saliva soaks into the fur, so yes it is normal for him to smell like it. Another reason why it might smell is because of water intake. If a cat doesn't drink much water, it's saliva is more concentrated and because of this it smells more. So if you get your cat to drink more water the saliva might not be as smelly. It smells like the food he ate, because he is basically smearing tiny particles of his food all over himself. 
Thank you. :)  It is a relief to know that. I was worried that there was an medical problem causing this.