Cat Smells Funky

Smokeykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got my cat a little over a week ago. Last night while he was in my lap I noticed he has a pungent smell coming from his fur. It was so strong I had to take a shower. I could still smell it on the couch where he was laying today. He is not fixed so that may have something to do with it. Idk but he does not go outside either. Please help. I've never had a cat before so I dont know what this could be.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are generally very clean animals. Mine all have a smell that is very much them but not unpleasant. A strong smell could indicate a health problem or exposure to something. If he is over a year it could be he just has strong smell from spraying.

First step would be a bath with Dawn dish soap or a cat shampoo (no tea tree oil). That would remove the existing smell so you can determine if it is him or something he rolled in. My girl stank her first day with us but a bath cleared that up for her.

If that doesn't help then it is time to visit the vet. Your vet would be able to better determine if the smells standard male smell or something else. Even if it is something else you can schedule for a neuter while there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smokeykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an appointment for next Monday to have him fixed. He's also getting his shots and a flea treatment.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can ask the vet to check the anal glands and empty them if needed. Sometimes the anal glands get full and the goos is super super stinky :barfgreen: Normally the glands are expressed as a cat poops but some cats need a little help getting the goo out. This is something you can do at home. The vet can show you how to do it. It's can be messy so wear old clothes and do this in the bathroom with the door closed (bathrooms are easily cleaned). You may need an extra pair of hands to hold the cat.