Cat Sleeping On Top Of The Litter Box Cover - Why?

rdrunna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat has been sleeping on top of the litter box cover just recently. He has had some medical issues. They thought he might have hyperthyroid, initially thought diabetic, but decided it was not either. He is pretty thin, but still playful and active except for recent.

I'm concerned more about the sleeping or lying down on top of the litter box cover. Any thoughts. I know he may be on his way out, but want to get some input on the litter box situation. He is not sleeping "IN" the litter box, just on top of it.

Thank you.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be something as simple as him liking the feel of the cover or what he can she from this spot. And sometimes cats just change their preferred sleeping place. You just want to make sure it isn’t because he uses the litter box so frequently he wants to stay near. So of you are counting pees and poops each day you want to do that, one or two a day of each is pretty normal.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is you cat? You say he has medical issues, what are his symptoms? Has the vet ruled out kidney disease? At this point do they have a diagnosis for him?
Like susanm9006 susanm9006 said, he could just like the feel and placement of this spot. But I do question if he's sleeping where he's closest to the litter box because of frequent use and/or medical issues.
Has there been a new addition to the fur family recently? I wonder if he may be "guarding" the box from others in the house? Has there been any inappropriate peeing or pooping from him (or others, if you have any)?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above. If it weren't for his medical conditions potentially creating the change in behavior, I would say he just decided it is a nice spot to be in - for now.

My cat has had some weird place to choose to sleep in over her 14+ years. She once had a cover on her litterbox - I won't rule out that at some point in time she did in fact sleep there.