Cat Sleeping On Chest

Heebeeweebee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is a silly question, but stay with me. :)

I have a young male cat who LOVES sleeping on top of me, even if I'm laying on my side and he has to balance precariously. His favorite is right on my chest, with his face in my face. I don't mind this, and I find it very sweet, but I started wondering:

Is it bad from a dominance perspective to have a cat that always wants to be directly on top of you?

Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see it as more just wanting to be near us. The face might be in hopes that someday you will groom him :crackup:

My girl also wants to be right on top of me whenever possible. This is how she sleeps with one of the boys.
IMG_20181228_124102.jpg

She prefers to be groomed until she falls asleep by the other cats. For us lowly humans, petting until she falls asleep will do. Which means being so close you can't ignore her.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's bad from a dominance perspective, they are coming to be with you because you are warm and comforting. My partner has recently decided he doesn't want the cat on his chest when he is asleep because he feels that her fine hairs are getting up his nose. Which is fair because she sleeps sometimes literally on his chin. I like the cat snuggles, so I stay in bed longer and when he gets up she gets on me instead. I just think it's personal preference if you want them that close to you when you're asleep