Cat Sleeping A Lot

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the last few days, I've noticed that one of my cats has been sleeping a lot more & is less alert. His eating, drinking, & litterbox routines are normal. He'll still get up & play every so often. Opinions??

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
How old is he? a lot of cats rally slow down noticeably around 3 years old as they leave kittenhood behind.

If he's quite young or this is really out of character for him, though, it might be worth a trip to the vet just to rule out any issues. Any sudden change in behavior is worth noting with cats as they are remarkably good at hiding pain and discomfort. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually he's around 10 years old. I think he might have been getting bored with his toys & routine. I played with him a lot yesterday & today, & it seems like he's back to normal. He's back to sleeping his usual amount & responds like he was before.

animallover9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be a couple of things if he is/was sleeping more than normal. Cats sleep about 12-16 hours a day and as they age that will increase. He could be bored if you haven't changed up the toys in awhile or it could be something medical since cats are masters like a lot of animals at hiding pain and such till they just cant anymore. First I would just try changing the routine changing up some toys or try some cat nip on some of his things make them exciting again