Cat Sitting

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Friends have six-month-old kittens we're going to feed and play with two or three times a day over Christmas while the humans are travelling. Their cats (and ours) are not around other animals or people. We are going to meet the kitties for the first time next week. How best to proceed? I plan to arrive with their favorite treats and a couple of cat springs, stay low, speak softly and wait for them to approach me. But what about smelling of our own cats?

Any and all advice is welcome.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
More than likely at their age they will be interested in checking out a new visitor but your plan is still perfect. Wait for them to come to you. The treats and toys will probably be all you need to warm them up but you never know. If they do act fearful just hang out and most likely they will come out. If not stay awhile, make sure there are signs they are eating and using the litterbox and hope that the next time they are less scared.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully, you can get to be around the kittens multiple times before your friends leave. That will allow them to get used to you, and also you can observe behaviors that might be helpful to you while your friends are gone. Make sure you have their vet's contact information available and ways to reach your friends if needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good advice, thanks! We use the same vet, so no problem there, but I should find out about carriers. And if they have insurance.