Cat Sitting....

citizen103

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking after a cat for a friend who is on holiday.

I live in their old house so the cat knows where she is and knows me.

She's 14 and is used to living in the country now but this is back in the city.

Not used to looking after cats so trying to ensure i look after her properly.

Last night, she was happy enough to crawl up onto my lap and wanted to be stroked but after a few mins gave me a little nip. Think it was more a warning than an attack so it didn't concern me, just reminded me to be a little more aware of her mood!

Anyway, this morning she's sitting on the doormat looking a little forlorn. She has a cat flap so can leave if she wants (although she seems to be finding it a little tricky at the moment). I opened the door to see if she wanted to go out but she didn't.

Assuming shes missing her owner but just wondering if anyone has any tips to help her feel more settled.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd play with her. Cats like balled up pieces of paper, tin foil balls. Play with her with a string. I always take up the string when we are through.

Get some cat treats for her and sit on the floor and give her a couple once in a while. She is no doubt confused as to the different person who has taken her owners place. You need to interact with her.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to her too. In a little bit high, friendly voice. Tell her what a nice girl she is and bend down to pet her.

She just needs reassurance.

ognstub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Play with them and just hang out with them. Spoil them! That's what I do when I cat-sit. How about taking some pics and print a couple of nice ones off for the humans? People like to see their animals having fun
especially when they were gone.
Good luck !