Cat Sitting Tips

Holytaxidermy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,

My friend had a family emergency, and as a last resort, is giving me her cat to look after. She’s providing all the necessities, but doesn’t really have time to explain cat care, since she’s really stressed right now.

Does anyone have any tips about taking care of a cat? Anything about feeding, grooming, helping it adjust, etc

I can only keep the cat in one room, since my roommate is allergic. I can occasionally bring it into the backyard or the basement, but I’m scared the cat will run away or hurt itself.

Anything is helpful, thanks!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for you to watch the cat in your friend's apartment? Cats hate change.

Don't let the cat outside - not going to debate the whole safety vs. nature thing, but the cat is not at home and not used to you and you run a huge risk of losing her.

If it is only for a couple of weeks, just keep the cat in your room with food and litter box. She will hide under your bed or in the closet for the first few nights, but as you quietly go about your business and talk to her (or to yourself), she should venture out. You'll probably have her in your bed after a day or two. You might think your room would be too small and confining for the cat, but it will give her a small territory to explore and claim as her own so she feels safe.

Play with her when you can with a want toy or balls or whatever she likes to keep her from getting bored (bored kitties make up games to keep themselves entertained - games like "Let's knock everything over")

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Wow, you're amazing!
Unless you have enough time to train kitty to a harness/leash, or can get a cat mesh tent, I wouldn't take it outside.

One other thing is that you might look into calming products because this will be stressful for this cat. There are a lot of different types with all different ingredients on the market.

I don't know if you're a first time cat person and i realize this isnt a kitten and you're not adopting it. I just looked for articles I thought would help. These are not long but have good info, and then as things go along you can ask more questions :)

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat

16 Experts Reveal The Most Common Litterbox Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)

How To Minimize Litterbox Odor

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If your friend can tell you what brand cat food she was feeding the cat that would be best. Otherwise, go to a pet store and ask for a high quality wet food and dry food. Feed the wet a couple times a day and leave out food all day. And make sure there is a large bowl of water, changed every day. And make sure the food and water is as far away from the litterbox as possible. If you didn’t receive any cat toys with the cat, pick up a few of those.

Don’t worry about grooming for now. Even if it’s a long hair it can go a week or so without brushing and you will have to make friends before it will likely allow brushing anyway.

As Duncanmac said, don’t take the cat out. It Is best that you keep it in your room especially with an allergic roommate. If there is a spot where the cat can look out a closed window that would keep him entertained.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep the cat indoors. You don't want to add to your friend's stress by having to explained cat ran off when going took him / her outside. Even if the cat is used to going outside, your home and outdoors is unfamiliar. Keeping the cat strictly indoors while you are cat sitting is best.

Food and water must be give daily obviously. Ask your friend how much food to feed daily.

Litter box must be scooped at least twice daily. Waste can go into a plastic bag and then into your trash can. A sprinkle of plain baking sofa will help with some of the odor. Don't use air fresheners of any type, especially essential oils, to mask the litter box smell.

Ask your friend for the contact info for the vet just in case the cat becomes I'll and needs treatment. You can work it out with your friend about payment for any bill. Also ask if the cat has any known medical issues you need to be aware of and / or is currently taking any medicine. If the cat is on medicine, you'll need to have that along with clear instructions on the dosage and frequency.

Grooming isn't a must unless it's a long haired cat prone to matting. A quick brush of the fur suffices for most short and medium haired cats.

Grab some toys from the pet store. Most chain pet stores have bins of loose toys for cheap: various types of balls, fake mice, etc. An empty toilet paper tube is also great as a toy to bat around.