Cat sitting issue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shayla12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also add, did they leave you with any veterinarian and/or insurance information? Was it discussed what they'd like you to do in case of a health issue popping up? He's stressed so a vet visit may be in order anyway.

I wouldn't want us to assume that his crying is anxiety and have him have urinary crystals or something else quite common..
We asked about insurance and he has none so we said we'd take him to the vet if something happened and would run it by them first. They said crying is typical for him but I would assume they let him outside when he cries and that's why it goes on for so long with us.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhh. A Siamese! Yeppers. They are talky ones, tho agree w/ all the neutering/adopting comments. Never met a Siamese that didn’t have a lot of opinions. I always enjoyed it, but, then never had to sit one, so, we’d have conversations back and forth…all kitties love it when you talk to them, and sometimes, this can have a calming effect.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea...I'm trying to reserve judgment and not be too harsh, but if I were them I wouldn't even want to be away from my pets for that long, let alone separate them during that time. The longest we were away from our old cat was just over a week and we missed her so much.
Exactly. You are going to be so attached to him too. I hope everything works out for you all. :lovecat4:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as adopting him ourselves I just wouldn't feel right doing that, even though they may not be the best owners I don't think they'd willingly give him up
I guess you could always kind of jokingly tell them that you fell in love with him and if they would ever want to part with him, you would gladly take him. Sets the stage but wouldn't offend or insult them. Just a thought.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
No good deed goes unpunished...

There is a lot of great advice here, and all I am going to add is that I don't think I would try the harness as it can be fraught with many problems if the cat is not already used to one, not used to going outside, and unneutered. One slip of any kind and the cat is gone.

Almost a year ago, I acquired an unneutered flame point boy, who was very rapidly fixed, so I can empathize with you on the continual talking and restlessness.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We asked about insurance and he has none so we said we'd take him to the vet if something happened and would run it by them first. They said crying is typical for him but I would assume they let him outside when he cries and that's why it goes on for so long with us.
Yes that's probably part of the cause.
If you have a balcony, you could put up some netting and take him out on it on a harness (with their permission of course).

We use RC pet adventure harness which is very slip-out resistant. Since he's used to going out, if you put it on him and immediately let him out (even just to the hallway as an experiment and for a walk), he will likely associate the harness to what he wants quickly. Magnus did almost immediately, now loves to get dresses in anything but also immediately thinks it means he gets to go outside.

If the crying does continue excessively, please consider asking about the vet. Even if being vocal is normal, he does have a lot of stress from all the change right now and as a male cat they can be more prone to FLUTD. Even if not comfortable with the idea, I would ask about what they would like the plan to be should you get any complaints from neighboring units due to the crying. Even lead in with you're not comfortable asking the question but want everyone to be prepared, but if you get a complaint do they want to have a backup sitter lined up or do they want you to consult on a neuter?

I think you're right, they likely love their cat very much. Otherwise they would have rehomed him rather than found a sitter. I am beyond grateful that we had a trusted sitter for 6 months, and that she actually returned my cats in the end. I would have been miserable if I'd encountered the same situation as my above-mentioned friend. (But I also couldn't have had my pets and I lose housing because her cat was spraying).