Cat Siblings!

If you have more than one cat, how are they together?

• They love each other and are inseparable!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • They mostly ignore each other, but are nice.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They don’t really like each other... but we make it work.

• It didn’t work/ isn’t working!

• Total voters

Ash0794

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First time cat owner with two kittens here! We are about 4 weeks into them getting to know each other and sharing our space, but I just wanted a place where I can get some feedback or maybe other people can share the experiences they’re going through as well because I know it can be tricky introducing.

Our resident baby, DJ, had been with us about 4-5 months and is about 6 months old when I started to think a companion might help him expel some energy and learn to play a little nicer. So when I saw our youngest, Leo (almost 3 months), I fell in love and brought him home! The introduction process was good over about a week. They hissed a little in the beginning, but mostly just boundary setting and learning how each other liked to play. Now they share the space pretty well. DJ stopped most of his naughty “separated from mom too early” behaviors like nipping and other play aggressions, and is a much gentler baby over all. Yay!! Leo is sweet, and affectionate and playful just as expected.

A few things I worry about even though things are going so well (I can’t help it I’m a worrier). #1) they’re not affectionate toward each other, and they actually play pretty rough almost constantly. No fighting like I said. I watch for sheathed claws and ear direction etc but Leo is pretty vocal and meows when they get ramped up. DJ is bigger than him, so it just makes me feel guilty if I don’t try to break it up and have them cool down. Is this right, or should I let them work it out? There’s no blood or fur out of place and Leo and DJ do take turns initiating. They’ve always gotten along, but I just don’t want to over look anything, or perhaps have them develop a bad relationship because they play too hard. (Doesn’t help that Leo wants to play more often than DJ does). We’re afraid to leave them both out in the house over night in case we need to break something up, so we take turns having one sleep with us. I guess I just want to know if I’m being a helicopter parent or if I have a right to be concerned? #2) Leo eats like there’s no tomorrow! The can scarf down his whole share of food and still try to eat DJ’s. I don’t want DJ to start to feel like Leo is stealing from him or something. Are there things that I can do to slow him down?

If you’re introducing (or have before) cats too, I’m interested in other experiences. What was it like for you? Is there anything else I should look out for?

here the babies are (in a rare moment of non-play):
F2A8350A-DD9B-4F76-B181-260C0AA5522A.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
They are gorgeous cats 🤩!
There’s no blood or fur out of place and Leo and DJ do take turns initiating
I think, let them keep playing but keep an eye that the smaller can keep up even though you said Leo likes to play more. It actually looks and sounds to me as though they've worked things out, but on the other hand you're likely not wrong to keep them separate overnight for a bit longer, your peace of mind matters here too :)

Here are a couple articles that might help;

Take a look at the section (13, I think) for Gulpers

Kittens need to eat as much as they can consume until they're at least a year old so I think Leo literally needs more food, and I'd start weighing them because your other boy needs to eat a lot as well even if he is a slower eater :).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They both sound like healthy, happy siblings. At their age, it’s all about play all the time. And it’s rough and includes, one or the other squealing, screaming or hissing. They are working on their relationship and having fun no matter how much noise they make, so don’t interfere unless it’s getting too loud for you and then only by distracting the with a wand or other toy.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can let them be, they are friends! If the small one is squealing during play, and trying to run away, thats fine too, but that would be a cue that if you are around, it might be a mercy to the small one to distract the bigger one. But even the squealing is just routine big bro/little bro stuff. Sometimes the play is rough enough for a "stop!" "ouch!" but there are no lasting injuries and the little one wants to go again in a bit. Little one is telling you all is well by that behavior.

As for the 3 month old having a huge appetite, I'm no vet, but I've heard it said that there stomachs are too small for the 2 or 3 meals that bigger cats eat. They need to have constant grazing, or more like 5 meals a day. So if you think about it, its no wonder the kitten is hungry! The bigger cat got full at the last meal and it carried over, whereas the kitten's full expired 2 hours ago and the kitten has been hungry that whole time! As for the amount the kitten eats, don't worry! You don't need to restrict them at all during this phase, however much they wanna eat is the right amount! The average at that age is to add a pound a month, and that take a LOT of food!

Maybe you can add a private feeding or two for the kitten at the in between times. That said, I'm not sure you need to -- 6 month olds are still rapidly growing so you don't really need to watch the weight yet.

Last edited: