Cat Showing Aggressive Tendencies?

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’m putting this here cause my cat Bastet has been kinda aggressive for a while. At first it made sense, when she came she was semi feral and was terrified of me, had a right to be wary and a bit violent if she deemed it necessary.

Now she’s gotten used to me, even lays by me, wants me to pet her non stop and even chases me around if she wants something bad enough.

She’s had this problem of just trying to bite and scratch my arm and hands for a while when I don’t show her attention or don’t pet her right or stop petting her or things like that. At first I was thinking it was okay, she wasn’t used to wanting affection or how to show it back properly. A few tiny pins size nicks there and a nip there. I could try to handle that.

Now just a few days ago we got her fixed and unfortunately had to force her inside. Any time she’s not hiding she’s trying to get me to pet her, she’s a real sucker for that, almost immediately lays down and wants me to pet her stomach when I start petting her. Now the violent tendencies have gotten slightly more frequent. She starts meowing at me like crazy like usual I start to pet her for a bit, but if I do something wrong or try to stop petting her she’s tries to scratch or bite me. She’s succeeded in it a lot, she’s even tried biting me more, she can’t get me right now cause she has a cone on cause of her getting spayed, but I know the motion, she is definitely trying to (forgive my language) bite the hell out of me. It’s starting to hurt and to the point where I’m kind of afraid to show her affection thinking she’ll go for me, and if I refuse she’s tries chasing me everywhere, blocking my path trying to get me to do it and if I don’t she just goes for me anyway.

Having a real struggle here, any advice would be great here. Gonna go clean the latest bite, I don’t think it broke skin too much but still.

mimao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there!

I'd suggest giving her space. Give her some attention every now and then to check on her wound and give her medicine, but it feels a lot like she just needs some time to rest. Getting spayed can take a toll on a kitty, especially if they're still healing.

In my experience, my cat Pabu got fixed a few months ago and she would growl at me when I would pet her on my own accord but would approach me when she feels like it again. Just really gotta listen to what they want haha

Now as for the meowing like crazy, Pabu did that too during her healing period, and more often than not, it's not pets she wants it's just gentle company while she's healing. I hope it's the same for your cat!

But if pets is what Bastet really really wants, then might I suggest gloves LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there!

I'd suggest giving her space. Give her some attention every now and then to check on her wound and give her medicine, but it feels a lot like she just needs some time to rest. Getting spayed can take a toll on a kitty, especially if they're still healing.

In my experience, my cat Pabu got fixed a few months ago and she would growl at me when I would pet her on my own accord but would approach me when she feels like it again. Just really gotta listen to what they want haha

Now as for the meowing like crazy, Pabu did that too during her healing period, and more often than not, it's not pets she wants it's just gentle company while she's healing. I hope it's the same for your cat!

But if pets is what Bastet really really wants, then might I suggest gloves LOL
Gloves sound like a better idea. Long sleeve shirt maybe too as she goes for my arms. I don’t try to constantly go pet her, she’s more the one wanting attention from me. So that’s my best option right now I guess. Thanks for the glove idea and the experience account btw. Really helps.

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something you need to bear in mind is if you react to the cats undesirable behavior all the time, it will become a habit and the cat will use it everytime it wants something.

Watch what the dynamics are between two cats who are buddies and one is stressed from lack of food, or in a mood and wants alone time, and the otheer cat tries to bother them, the outcome is a swat or a hiss.

I would second what mimao, relayed and have a can of air duster about, to imitate a hiss as swatting would be a no, no.

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay it’s been a good while. She’s gotten the cone off her stitches are all healed up, and she’s still biting. When I try to reach down and pet her she bites after a while of petting and immediately wants me to start doing it again, and whenever I even reach down to grab something off the floor like a can of food she tries to bite me. I haven’t not had a scratch or bite mark on my hand in weeks.

This is especially problematic cause she’s even going for my pant-legs as well as my dads if we don’t give her enough attention. I need to break this habit of hers, I don’t mind it but my father very much does. I’m also trying to rehome Her at the moment and this isn’t helping.

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, still bites me even with coverings over my arms. Not fun.