Cat Show in South Bend

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm leaning toward Gideon being okay with it.  I know he would love having the buddy to run with.  The Himmie and the Persian try to play with him sometimes, but just can't keep up.  Gideon and the Himmie were the first 2 cats in the house.  When my roommate brought home the Persian, they both hissed and growled for several hours every time they caught site of him.  By the end of the next day, Gideon was grooming the Persian.  The 2 longhaired boys don't really fight, but don't like each other very much....Gideon is the peacemaker, and gets in between them if they are bickering.  He also has no problem sharing my lap with a poodle or a dachie....or both.  

All three of the current cats are neutered males.  If we decide to add a fourth, would it be better to stick with another male?  My past experience with dogs and breeding dogs, has always been that males are more affectionate and less "vindictive" than females.  Are cats the same?  Would they be more likely to accept a female....or does it not matter?  Whichever we got, it would be neutered/spayed asap.

LOL....Gideon has been engaged for the last 15 minutes in trying to open the closet door.  He was after the bag of toys I brought home from the cat show, so I hung the bag over a hanger in the closet.  He knows exactly where they are, and is determined to get them out. 

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to try to go to a cat show. It sounds fun and interesting. I would love to pick up some new and different toys as well. I hope there's one in my area soon.
It is definitely worth checking out.  The down side is you are going to want another cat after you see something you just have to have....lol.  Check the TICA and CFA websites....they have show schedules there.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is definitely worth checking out.  The down side is you are going to want another cat after you see something you just have to have....lol.  Check the TICA and CFA websites....they have show schedules there.
  Yeah , and not just the pedigreed kitties.   Almost every cat show has a rescue group or shelter there with cats for adoption!    So between the pedigrees and the moggies,  there is a LOT Of cat temptation 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With your group of adult  & adolescent neutered male cats,   I think you'd be OK with either a boy or girl.   Think more about energy level and playfulness  and confidence and sociability   with other kittens and cats,  since part of the reason for getting the cat is for Gideon to have a playmate who can keep up with him.    and in  the high energy breeds like ours  and Orientals,  the girls are often just as hard-playing as the boys.  

An Oriental will be finer boned, though,  and you might lean toward a boy for that reason,  since he'd probably end up with less of a size / weight difference between him and Gideon. 

Anyway  I would just discuss this stuff with the breeder,  who will be getting to know the different personalities of the kittens before it's time for them to go to their new homes,  not that their personalities are fully formed,  but she would be able to at least make a good prediction of which kittens would most enjoy being in a home with a big Siamese brother who will want to chase and wrestle, as well as a couple Persians (incl Himi) and some dogs. 

Many people do say male cats tend to be more affectionate.   I think I would express it in a slightly more nuanced way -- it's more that the males tend to be more steady in expressing affection,  and females more moody -- sometimes extremely loving and at other times more independent.  I don't just mean intact queens but also spayed female cats to some extent.   Of course this is ONLY a broad generalization and there are definitely exceptions.   There are certainly some very sweet girl cats .    

But if you like boys,  get another boy. 

I have to tell you how  when I got Chatri who was about 3.5 months old,   after Sammy growled and hissed for several days he started grooming the kitten and they became inseparable.   It was funny how Chatri seemed to idolize Sammy,  following him everywhere and imitating him.  Just like a loved but rather annoying little brother who is always tagging along.   Little Chatri even followed Sam into the litterbox and wanted to pee together! 

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 I have to tell you how  when I got Chatri who was about 3.5 months old,   after Sammy growled and hissed for several days he started grooming the kitten and they became inseparable.   It was funny how Chatri seemed to idolize Sammy,  following him everywhere and imitating him.  Just like a loved but rather annoying little brother who is always tagging along.   Little Chatri even followed Sam into the litterbox and wanted to pee together! 
LOL....the Persian boy (Nicodemus) is the youngest.....when he first arrived, he kept trying to get into the litterbox with the other boys.  They would slap him, and just look at him like he was crazy.  He learned quickly that his idea of togetherness was not appreciated.  He still jumps in the boxes everytime I clean them.

Last edited:

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to try to go to a cat show. It sounds fun and interesting. I would love to pick up some new and different toys as well. I hope there's one in my area soon.
You should go to a show  
   We discovered the silver Egyptian Mau breed at a show.over two years ago, I had not even heard of the Mau before then.  I just fell in love with them.     We  did not have any cats back then they had gone to RB

Also you can talk to a lot of the breeders of any cat you might like to own
  and there is allways the trade stalls. We did not have any cats for over four years and if it was not for the cat show I dont think we would have got another as it breaks your heart when they go